Smile Riso RP3700 and RZ220UI Questions (Errors P04-513, D01-547, A18-528, T01-538)

Hi all -- a Riso noob here with a few questions. I just purchased a couple of second-hand machines that have been in a dusty storage unit for a year so needless to say there are a few issues that I need to work through:

1. First, I'm getting an error P04-513 on the RZ220UI and understand that I need to clean the drum from what I expect is a lot of semi-dried up ink. I think the previous owner also was using off-brand stuff so that doesn't help. Are there any good tutorials out there that anyone can point me toward for how to clean out all the old ink? I'm guessing I'll need to open up the screen to clean the sensors and whatnot, but I just don't want to make things worse with my lack of knowledge/skills. I've heard that people have used various solvents for cleaning drums. Can the whole drum be submerged and dried out, or should I just be removing the screen and cleaning that?

2. There are a whole boatload of issues with the RP3700. First, I was getting a D01-547 and I discovered that for whatever reason, the piece of metal sticking out of the print drum wasn't long enough to trigger the print drum safety switch so I fixed that by adding a little length to the trigger. Though I used a non-conductive material. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the other issues that have popped up?

3. Now I'm getting an A18-528 error. I wouldn't be surprised if the previous owner didn't hit the unlock drum button before yanking out the drum. Anyway, the print-drum lock position sensor isn't triggered. So there is problem number one of the RP3700. But after I pull out and push back in the print drum, it switches to a error. Which I guess is still the print-drum lock position sensor? Any help on what to do here would be much appreciated.

4. This is kind of a minor issue, but I have regular copy paper in the feed tray and the paper selector switch on paper instead of cardstock, but the screen is locked on the card option. There isn't any way to change it through the digital interface, and the switch by the feed tray doesn't seem to do anything. Am I missing something here? Is it automatically detecting cardstock somehow (and, for that matter, does that mean another sensor is broken?).

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Riso RP3700 and RZ220UI Questions (Errors P04-513, D01-547, A18-528, T01-538)

Oh and one last thing:

5. I noticed that basically all of the rubber bands in the master disposal assembly are broken. Any tips on where to buy these? Thanks!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

Re: Riso RP3700 and RZ220UI Questions (Errors P04-513, D01-547, A18-528, T01-538)

P04-513 Ink overflow - inside the drum

I'd recommend at the very least buying both manuals so you know what you looking at and how to clean things out/take apart. If the previous owner was using generic ink that doesn't help your cause. RZ-220's have been out long enough that you should be able to find a used drum if you look. That would get probably get that machine to a running stage so you could see what other problems you may have.

RP-
    Where to start??? Riso rp3700 info

Check the Admin (?) tab on the touch panel. The paper type is probably taken off AUTO and is set to CARD.

You may want to have a local tech come out and give you an opinion on them.... Might save a lot of headache. Problem would be neither would be a parts machine for the other.

Technician

as a recent purchaser of a previously neglected rp3700 and drums I can empathize and would say be prepared for lots of little things to pop-up that you'll have to deal with. getting a copy of both the tech manual and user manual will help a ton. I can't speak for the rz220, but for the RP drums they are pretty easy to take the screen and drum body off to clean the screens/mesh or get rid of extra ink inside the drum causing the ink overflow issue.

for the master disposal bands on the RP you can find those on ebay if you search.

Just an update in case anyone's wondering: I replaced the master disposal belts myself, and the rest of the problems were due to the timing being off. I had a tech come out and he got it up and running without any difficulty. Maybe one day I'll be up for fixing the timing myself, but from what I gather, it's not really something for a n00b like myself to mess around with! Thanks to everyone for their feedback and help!