Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy RISO RP Drum locking issue

Hello! I have a Risograph RP 3500. My color drum got stuck in the machine, but I was able to pull it out with the drum unlocking code in test mode and a little bit of force. I cannot insert another drum; the drum goes almost all the way in and then stops up against something. The drum locking / unlocking in test mode does nothing to help. When the machine is turned on, it just says to insert a drum. I'm not really sure what to do or if there is another way to have the machine reset everything in its drum chamber to a normal position. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated; I'm new to the RISO world! Thank you.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: RISO RP Drum locking issue

The drum drive coupling in the drum cavity of the machine is not at home position.

Arrow Re: RISO RP Drum locking issue

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    The drum drive coupling in the drum cavity of the machine is not at home position.
    What is the best way to go about resetting that? Is there anything I can do in test mode or is it something I can reset by hand?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

Remove drum and set it on a table. Look at the rear of the drum and you see the large metal slotted pin. Now look inside the machine at the back wall. There is a chuck that the pin goes into, I believe it should be pointing at 12 & 6 (???) whatever the the drum is looking like when locked into home position. Grab the chuck and turn it by hand until the 2 pieces mesh. You shouldn't have to turn much. It's trial and error.

If the machine has not been thrown out of time, you should be able to turn the drive key from inside the machine. If not then by moving the drive by hand in the back. Make sure the RISO is off and unplugged before doing either.
    Also make sure the drum is in the home and locked position before trying to insertion.
    Good luck.

Yeah what 20gauge said too!
    Last edited by jermyth; 07-25-2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: 20gauge posted similar info.

Technician

Is this machine still working?

Her are some pic's from the service manual on how the flanges should be on the drum and the Riso itself. If they're not matching each other the drum will never go in, but you have to reassure that the timing is done on the drive unit, there are I believe 4 timing point to bring this Riso to optimal performance I hope you have the upgrade gear kit to keep it running smoothly or you can loose timing again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by LA TECH View Post
    Her are some pic's from the service manual on how the flanges should be on the drum and the Riso itself. If they're not matching each other the drum will never go in, but you have to reassure that the timing is done on the drive unit, there are I believe 4 timing point to bring this Riso to optimal performance I hope you have the upgrade gear kit to keep it running smoothly or you can loose timing again.

drum drive coupling.jpg

There, I fixed it for you.
    By the way, good catch on the upgrade kit.

Quote Originally Posted by 20gaugeO/U View Post
    Remove drum and set it on a table. Look at the rear of the drum and you see the large metal slotted pin. Now look inside the machine at the back wall. There is a chuck that the pin goes into, I believe it should be pointing at 12 & 6 (???) whatever the the drum is looking like when locked into home position. Grab the chuck and turn it by hand until the 2 pieces mesh. You shouldn't have to turn much. It's trial and error.
    When I was working on it the chuck and pin were aligned and fit together (though they may not have been at the 12 and 6 position, I don't recall), but the drum still stops just barely before locking into place. I did try a different drum and didn't had any luck. When powered on, the screen just says to insert a drum. Test mode starts up correctly and everything appears to be just fine. I'm going to give it another go on Tuesday, and I'll give an update. Thank you everyone for your assistance so far; I really appreciate it!

Are there any pictures of the machine that you can share, say like a picture of the opening to the drum cavity with the drum out of the machine? That would really help.
    Here's the thing - we can't see your machine or what it is doing, and some of us need the visual input of seeing machines to work on them efficiently (I suppose that could just be me, though).