Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Riso: Scanning vs. Sending

Hi all, here's more of a discussion question than anything because I suspect the general consensus is going to be "it's the same either way!" I don't have an old computer than can connect to my RP3700 so now I'm debating either getting an old computer to use with the machine in order to send print jobs, or getting a shiny new wide format inkjet printer to print out jobs, then scan into the Riso manually. Are there any pros or cons to doing it one way or the other? Does anyone have preferences on how to send jobs to Riso duplicators? Thanks!

Re: Riso: Scanning vs. Sending

PS, just in case anyone is curious, this is the printer I was thinking about buying. $150 seems like a good price for something that can do double sided 11x17 printing, plus scanning and all the rest of it! And then ink costs....

Amazon.com: Epson WorkForce WF-7610 Wireless and WiFi Direct, All-in-One Wide-Format Color Inkjet Printer, Copier, Scanner, 2-Sided Auto Duplex, ADF, Fax. Prints from Tablet/Smartphone. AirPrint Compatible. (C11CC98201): Electronics

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

All things being equal, I'd say your second line of thought would probably be more productive in the very long run. Here's why:
    Eventually, a part in your Riso that isn't available anymore will break, and then the old computer will be mostly useless.
    But if you used a newer printer to make your originals and then scanned them in you should be able to continue to use that printer for other things after the Riso is kaputt.
    Just my two cents.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alphabetical View Post
    Hi all, here's more of a discussion question than anything because I suspect the general consensus is going to be "it's the same either way!" I don't have an old computer than can connect to my RP3700 so now I'm debating either getting an old computer to use with the machine in order to send print jobs, or getting a shiny new wide format inkjet printer to print out jobs, then scan into the Riso manually. Are there any pros or cons to doing it one way or the other? Does anyone have preferences on how to send jobs to Riso duplicators? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by alphabetical View Post
    PS, just in case anyone is curious, this is the printer I was thinking about buying. $150 seems like a good price for something that can do double sided 11x17 printing, plus scanning and all the rest of it! And then ink costs....

Amazon.com: Epson WorkForce WF-7610 Wireless and WiFi Direct, All-in-One Wide-Format Color Inkjet Printer, Copier, Scanner, 2-Sided Auto Duplex, ADF, Fax. Prints from Tablet/Smartphone. AirPrint Compatible. (C11CC98201): Electronics
    I would not consider 11x17 as "Wide Format". Considering the cost of supplies for inkjet printers, you might want to look at a multifunction laser printer. The laser can also do a lot of the printing that you would otherwise do on the Riso. The cost break over between laser printing and duplicator printing is between 30 and 50 copies, depending on the cost of masters for the Riso. If most of what you are printing is large number of copies per original, a new digital duplicator with network print/scan capabilities.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

You'll see much better quality and have more control with fine lines, text and halftones if you send your jobs directly to the Riso from an old pc.

Technician

I use an older macbook pro with bootcamp and windows XP. Does your rp3700 have a network card? I have mine hooked up to the router in our studio, was a bit of a pain to get all set-up, but not too bad.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Have you tried a Google search for Windows XP computers? Both Amazon and Ebay have listings for used XP computers. Personally I would stick to Amazon.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I guess if there are drivers for your printers that can be installed on the old computer, you can probably use that computer as a print server or something for a while even after the Riso is done. As long as there is no chance the old computer has any connection to the internet, anyway.
    Back in the day I had a Win98 machine set up as a print server for a Canon BJ300 and an HP LJ5n, and that was long after after Microsoft had ended support for 98. And it was on a wireless network to boot. It actually worked pretty well for around three years, then I had to go back to "Sneakernet" because my network equipment was cheap crap and the radio died.