Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    fab

MZ770 Touchscreen doesn't respond

Hello,

as you can see in my title, the touchscreen or display of my Riso MZ 770 doesn't react anymore.
    I did some printing from my Mac and suddenly the display stopped responding.
    Shutting down and restart the Riso didn't fix the problem.

Is there a way to reset the Riso or another way to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: MZ770 Touchscreen doesn't respond

While there are plenty of posts about resetting Risos in other threads, I can't remember if has been shared for the MZ machines.
    So just to check this model off the list, here's something to try if you want to:
    Turn the machine off, then hold down the "Reset" key on the right hand side of the control panel while turning the machine on, and continue to hold the key down until the display shows ready. That will reset the machine's working memory, and many times will solve unusual problems.*
    It might not hurt to disconnect the cable running from your computer to the Riso while the Riso is off (probably a good idea to turn the computer off before disconnecting the cable, too), in case the print job is bad. I haven't seen bad print jobs cause problems on Risograph equipment yet, but I have been seeing that more and more on the other equipment I work on.

*The procedure of holding down the reset key while turning a Riso on has been common to most if not all Riso duplicators since I started working on the RG line back in the eighties. While the machines have changed rather vastly since then, the base theory remains the same, and you might find other useful information if you search the older threads in this forum.

fab

Re: MZ770E Touchscreen doesn't respond

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    While there are plenty of posts about resetting Risos in other threads, I can't remember if has been shared for the MZ machines.
    So just to check this model off the list, here's something to try if you want to:
    Turn the machine off, then hold down the "Reset" key on the right hand side of the control panel while turning the machine on, and continue to hold the key down until the display shows ready. That will reset the machine's working memory, and many times will solve unusual problems.*
    It might not hurt to disconnect the cable running from your computer to the Riso while the Riso is off (probably a good idea to turn the computer off before disconnecting the cable, too), in case the print job is bad. I haven't seen bad print jobs cause problems on Risograph equipment yet, but I have been seeing that more and more on the other equipment I work on.

*The procedure of holding down the reset key while turning a Riso on has been common to most if not all Riso duplicators since I started working on the RG line back in the eighties. While the machines have changed rather vastly since then, the base theory remains the same, and you might find other useful information if you search the older threads in this forum.
    Thanks for your help. Actually holding the Reset Key while starting the Riso was my first guess too, but it didn't work.

I tried to search the forum, but I cannot find a way to search only in this Subforum for Digital Duplicators.. So I couldn't find a thread about resetting the MZ-Series. But I guess I solved it myself by hitting the reset button + test mode button (position drum 1 at center) while starting the Riso. Now the language switched back to english, that's why I guess the Riso is reset. But unfortunately this didn't fix the problem.

But I looked through 20 pages of the search result for "Riso" and found three similar problems.
    This one: Riso LCD touch screen unresponsive
    and this one: Unresponsive screen and unmatched size MZ 770 Riso
    and there was another one, which I cannot find right now..

In the first one and the one I cannot find they talked about the "LCD Base Compensation". Does anyone know which number this is for the MZ 770E in Test Mode? I tried my best "scrolling" through the Test Mode menu by inserting numbers and see where I land, but didnt find it...

EDIT:

Actually the problem occurred after I had a "bad print job". The master of my PDF file was blank or sometimes it only showed half of the content. So I wanted to watch the preview and then the LCD stopped working.

And here is the third thread I meant earlier: Unresponsive LCD Screen - Riso MZ 790U
    Last edited by fab; 09-13-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: MZ770 Touchscreen doesn't respond

The "LCD Base Compensation" just makes sure that the area you press on the touch panel actually activates the labeled area on the touch panel. I'm pretty sure the panel needs to show at least a little activity for that to work.
    If you reset the machine after disconnecting it from the computer and the touch panel was still frozen, that pretty much eliminates the bad print job from being the problem.
    You might see if there are any stuck keys on the control panel, that will prevent any other key press from working.