Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: RISO GR3750 Paper Jam Check Paper Feed Area Error

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    Good news, I think the pressure solenoid just needs to be adjusted. The movement of the hook lever shows the pressure solenoid's wiring is good, but the hook lever needs to move further.
    The RA manual should have the adjustment procedure, just follow the Position of Pressure Solenoid adjustment. The lower screw for the solenoid is the one that fixed the loose harness in place, so it is kind of important that gets put back together. Sorry I missed that earlier.
    It wouldn't hurt to check the Resting Position of Hook Lever and the Resting Position of Pressure Lever adjustments too, but be careful with the pressure lever as there are some pretty strong springs attached to it.
    That was a good idea using the screwdriver for an alignment jig. If I remember correctly, I think we used 3mm allen wrenches.
    The guide roller assembly part number you found is the right one, but hopefully you won't need it for a while.
    Sorry for not getting to this sooner.
    Ok great - that is good news indeed. I will get that loose harness secured. I made all of the adjustments you suggested (position of pressure solenoid adjustment, resting position of hook lever, resting position of pressure lever) earlier today. The pressure lever is a doozie! Very hard to manage the adjustment and hold tension down with hex wrenches but I think I got pretty close to all the the suggested RA manual adjustments. For the first time actually got a few prints to go through before a paper jam error.
    The culprit I believe is the suction drive belt tensioner. I noticed that the belt is slipping off the tensioner. Here is a picture of it after it slipped:

suction drive belt tensioner.jpg

Need to tighten that tensioner up and hopefully I will be closer to a working machine. Really appreciate all the help so far!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Update to tightening the suction belt tensioner:
    I moved the position of the lower screw in the tensioner plate so I could actually move the tensioner to a tighter position on the belt. I set it fairly tight and still the tensioner slips off the belt. Even in the tighter position this happens. I tested using the SW1 function on the system PCB so even with a gentle belt motion it still slips. Slides right off. Is there something else that should be holding that belt tensioner on to keep it from sliding off?

Here is the pic of the tensioner in the new position (but screws loose):
    photo(5).jpg

When I adjusted I moved it up to the position of that worn area and it was pretty tight yet it still slips. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

While the tensioner looks pretty straight, I suppose its bushings or the shaft it rides on could be worn. That's kind of unlikely, though. At least I never saw that back in the day.
    I'd recommend looking at the assembly the belt drives on the lower left hand side of the back of the machine. There's a clutch there that can wear out, and then things will shift around in the assembly.
    That assembly can be kind of a chore to get to, and the belt's route through it can be kind of tricky. So be careful.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

While the tensioner looks pretty straight, I suppose its bushings or the shaft it rides on could be worn. That's kind of unlikely, though. At least I never saw that back in the day.
    I'd recommend looking at the assembly the belt drives on the lower left hand side of the back of the machine. There's a clutch there that can wear out, and then things will shift around in the assembly.
    That assembly can be kind of a chore to get to, and the belt's route through it can be kind of tricky. So be careful.
    Hi Iowatech, thanks for the information. Apologies for the delay in response. Going to see if I can peek in at the belt drives/ clutch behind the PCB while pressing SW1 and see if I can identify where it is slipping. I will give an update when I know more. Thanks again for all the help!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

An update to the suction belt tensioner on the GR3750. Here is a video of the failure (it slips around 30 seconds then completely towards the end) :

I cannot visibly see what is causing the tensioner to slip when I look at the clutch assembly through the bottom, back left side behind the PCB. The slip is gradual as you can see from the video so it seems like some force is pulling it off the tensioner shaft.

In terms of looking at the suction clutch assembly, what would I be looking for? Something loose or off kilter. You can also see from the video that there is a center screw hole in the tensioner plate that is empty. When I got the machine the plate was attached with the top screw and a center screw. I moved the center one down to the lower part of the plate. Tried both configurations and still the belt slips.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by filmplane View Post
    An update to the suction belt tensioner on the GR3750. Here is a video of the failure (it slips around 30 seconds then completely towards the end) :

I cannot visibly see what is causing the tensioner to slip when I look at the clutch assembly through the bottom, back left side behind the PCB. The slip is gradual as you can see from the video so it seems like some force is pulling it off the tensioner shaft.

In terms of looking at the suction clutch assembly, what would I be looking for? Something loose or off kilter. You can also see from the video that there is a center screw hole in the tensioner plate that is empty. When I got the machine the plate was attached with the top screw and a center screw. I moved the center one down to the lower part of the plate. Tried both configurations and still the belt slips.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    The tensioner pulley needs to be replaced.
    The bushing is pressed into the pulley when new, and the fit of the bushing in the pulley has failed on your machine. That's why the pulley moves outward as the belt slips off.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

The tensioner pulley needs to be replaced.
    The bushing is pressed into the pulley when new, and the fit of the bushing in the pulley has failed on your machine. That's why the pulley moves outward as the belt slips off.
    Ok good to know. I can find that pulley replacement part and hopefully this will solve the paper jamming issues once and for all. Looks like the replacement will require the removal of the collar in front of the shaft there? I wonder if I should just replace the pulley or the entire tension pulley bracket?

Thanks again!

It would be easier to replace the entire bracket with the pulley. Especially if you haven't ever removed the type of clip that holds the pulley on the shaft on the bracket. Just put the screws back the way you found them when you first looked at the tensioner bracket. Unless there is something else that is terribly wrong, the standard belt tension should be adequate.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

It would be easier to replace the entire bracket with the pulley. Especially if you haven't ever removed the type of clip that holds the pulley on the shaft on the bracket. Just put the screws back the way you found them when you first looked at the tensioner bracket. Unless there is something else that is terribly wrong, the standard belt tension should be adequate.
    Ok, will do. Hopefully I can remember the general position of where it was originally. I will try to post an update when the parts arrive. I found that Google verification has a good inventory of Riso parts and will order from there. Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by filmplane View Post
    Ok, will do. Hopefully I can remember the general position of where it was originally. I will try to post an update when the parts arrive. I found that Google verification has a good inventory of Riso parts and will order from there. Thanks for the help!
    Don't use the adjuster slot on the bracket, just use the hole above the slot for the non-pivot screw.