Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    bjorn

Problem loading drum into RP3700

Hello, I'm a new member here and have a problem with my Riso RP3700. In the middle of the master making process my machine gave me an error message and asked me to install the drum (which was already inside), the green drum release button wouldn't light up but I pulled it out anyway. The problem is that I can't get it back in again. It seems like something in the machine is in the wrong position.

Is there a way to reset the machine so everything goes back to loading position?

I've tried the basic things like holding down the yellow reset button and flipped the power switch but without any luck.

Thank you!

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: Problem loading drum into RP3700

It sounds like the drum drive couplings are not aligned.
    The first step is to make sure the drum is locked in the home position. Like when you normally remove the drum.
    Then look at the coupling on the back of the drum, and compare it to the coupling in the back of the drum cavity on the machine. Those need to match. If not, you need to turn the coupling in the back of the drum cavity so that they do. I find a sturdy pair of needle nosed pliers and some elbow grease will do the trick, but your mileage may vary with that.

bjorn

Thanks for your answer! The drum drive coupling are not aligned like you said. I've only tried aligning them by manually unlocking the drum and adjust the coupling on the back of the drum a bit. When I do that I can almost get the drum in, but not quite. Since that didn't work I thought it might be something else then the coupling gear, that was in the way and needed to be reset.

It seems like I need to use a lot of force to be able to rotate the coupling in the cavity..

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    It sounds like the drum drive couplings are not aligned.
    The first step is to make sure the drum is locked in the home position. Like when you normally remove the drum.
    Then look at the coupling on the back of the drum, and compare it to the coupling in the back of the drum cavity on the machine. Those need to match. If not, you need to turn the coupling in the back of the drum cavity so that they do. I find a sturdy pair of needle nosed pliers and some elbow grease will do the trick, but your mileage may vary with that.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Well, you might look at the roller that is beneath the drum and see if there are any scrape marks on it. That would mean the roller was locked in the up position, that could cause the drum not to go in easily. To fix that you'd have to take the back off the machine and manually release the roller to its down position.
    Luckily, based on the information you have provided so far, I don't think that's the case. And that's a good thing too - there are some sharp edges and really strong springs in the back of the machine that need to be handled with care to manually release the roller.
    As of right now I'm pretty sure you just need to get the coupling in the back of the drum cavity aligned properly. And, yeah, it will take some effort to do that, you are essentially doing the work that the main drive motor does during normal operation.