Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

GR3770 Bearing Whine

Hi Again, When I'm running a print job, every now and then I notice kind of a high pitched whine which is quite intermittent. I'm thinking it might be a bearing somewhere? Does anyone know if bearings on this unit are service-able? Is there any point in bringing in a tech (we don't have a dealer in our area and this could be quite expensive) in to check the machine out as it is very intermittent ie he might have to stand there for up to an hour until and if the noise happens... and then if he heard it would he know what bearing or part is making the whine...or is this something that you think can be easily addressed by lubing all the bearing with some sort of magic grease? My other thought is just to keep using it until the squeaky bearing is singing all the time and then bring a guy in... I'm totally clueless on this, but would appreciate some advice. Thanks Murray

Old Retired IKON Drudge
    I would do a look around before calling a tech. I detested noise calls, especially noise calls on duplicators (they are so noisy, how can you tell it has an abnormal noise. Look for paper in fans, rust near shafts and bearings, hardened grease. Beyond that, I would not worry too much. I would probably wait until the noise is continuous before calling for service. You might lose a shaft that you would otherwise save, but you also will probably waste a lot of money having a tech come in and listen and not find anything. You take your pick and risk your money either way.

Doc

Passing Duplication Xpert 1,000+ Posts cobiray's Avatar
    The one way bearings in the feed assembly can make noise when dirty. You could take them off and clean them, but at your own risk. We have had some end users who wanted to be able to replace them when they failed, but they were trained by a service professional. IF it annoys you too much then call for service. Most times noises on Risographs are just one ways or the spring clutch on the timing and guide rollers. How vital is the Risograph to your business? Can you wait for service if it breaks? How will that affect your productivity? Ask yourself these questions and then decide if it's worth the call.

Technician
    Put video of working riso (with sound) on youtube.com .
    May be somebody recognized this sound.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    The next time the unit is making the noise, try to make a note on which area of the machine the noise is coming from. As was mentioned in previous posts some of the noises are benign and can be associated with dust or need of lubrication.

For instance, sometimes the O-Ring in the air-pump assembly (above drive area, center - arm attached via belt to second paper feed) will made a noise similar to a bearing (but this will be rhythmic / has a pattern), same thing with scrapping in the second paper feed area. The suction unit / paper exit will be prolonged (not rhythmic).

I would suggest taking a shop vac and canned air (or compressor) and totally cleaning out all of the paper dust (etc) from all parts of the unit.

Good Luck!
    Salesout Pro
    SalesoutPro@gmail.com

Technician

Thanks for the suggestions

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try the youtube video next time I can catch the noise. Murray