Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Riso FR 3950, GR01 ink, saying wrong type ink

Hello,

I am a Toshiba tech that has a service call on a FR 3950 Risograph. It states it has the wrong ink in it, although it is the right tube. On arrival, the drum would not come out of machine. I was able to get the drum out and even able to make intermittent prints. I set for 25 copies, got through 20 then it came up saying replace ink. Take tube out, put back in, wrong ink type. It seems like an intermittent failure. I saw a thread on here about the switches in back that correspond to the plastic tabs on the ink. They all look good, and i cleaned them up as best as possible. Still having issues. I also saw after i left a thread about drum dipswitches. Incompleted the call for time. Any Riso guys help out a poor sorry copier tech? Please and thank you in advance.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: Riso FR 3950, GR01 ink, saying wrong type ink

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubs86 View Post
    Hello,

I am a Toshiba tech that has a service call on a FR 3950 Risograph. It states it has the wrong ink in it, although it is the right tube. On arrival, the drum would not come out of machine. I was able to get the drum out and even able to make intermittent prints. I set for 25 copies, got through 20 then it came up saying replace ink. Take tube out, put back in, wrong ink type. It seems like an intermittent failure. I saw a thread on here about the switches in back that correspond to the plastic tabs on the ink. They all look good, and i cleaned them up as best as possible. Still having issues. I also saw after i left a thread about drum dipswitches. Incompleted the call for time. Any Riso guys help out a poor sorry copier tech? Please and thank you in advance.
    First things first, if you haven't reset the machine, do that the next time you see it by turning the machine off, then holding down the "Reset" key while turning the machine on, and holding down the key for a little while longer. Ten seconds should be quite long enough, although I find it easier to listen to the motors initialize after turning the machine on, and releasing the key when the noises get quieter.
    If you got the machine to print for a while, you can pretty much rule out the dipswtches, and the switches that the tabs on the ink tube activates as well. If resetting the machine doesn't help, I'd be inclined to say the ink tube is defective. While I never saw the connection between the drum and the machine cause problems when the FR line wasn't obsolete, it probably wouldn't hurt to clean those too.
    Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Re: Riso FR 3950, GR01 ink, saying wrong type ink

Thanks for the reply. I will give the reset a try. I did try a couple of other ink tubes and none worked.