Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GR 3750 Paper feed problems

Hello,

I've been having pretty regular issues with paper miss feeding no matter what size/weight/texture I'm using. The manual I have indicates min and max paper weight (13 lb bond min and 110 lb index max), but I can't seem to find information on appropriate texture and appropriate orientation of the two dials (pictured below) depending on what weight paper I'm feeding.

IMG_4255.JPG

Right now I am using a 67 lb cover bristol vellum texture and am wondering if this texture/weight is ok. Does anyone know if this texture/weight is ok and is there any guide for the orientation of those two dials depending on paper type?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: GR 3750 Paper feed problems

Quote Originally Posted by ion View Post
    Hello,

I've been having pretty regular issues with paper miss feeding no matter what size/weight/texture I'm using. The manual I have indicates min and max paper weight (13 lb bond min and 110 lb index max), but I can't seem to find information on appropriate texture and appropriate orientation of the two dials (pictured below) depending on what weight paper I'm feeding.

IMG_4255.JPG

Right now I am using a 67 lb cover bristol vellum texture and am wondering if this texture/weight is ok. Does anyone know if this texture/weight is ok and is there any guide for the orientation of those two dials depending on paper type?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!
    Do you have the GR Tech Manual? It is possible that it is the paper but it could also be that the Elevator Upper Limit Sensor needs an adjustment. You can find the download link to the tech manual here: Search

The adjustment is on I-31 of the manual.

Here is a PDF of the Riso suggested green stripper dial adjustments for various paper types, too:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5w...ew?usp=sharing

Also with thicker paper sometimes rotating the stack 180 degrees helps it feed better, also fanning the paper out before printing can help.

Hope this helps!

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

That machine is pretty old, has it ever had any preventive maintenance?
    The parts in the paper feed area do wear out after all.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

Are the feed tires blue??? I can't tell from the pic- start there if they are like Iowa said

Quote Originally Posted by 20gaugeO/U View Post
    Are the feed tires blue??? I can't tell from the pic- start there if they are like Iowa said
    Best I can tell the tires are blue, or more accurately, were blue. I think they are getting the brown color that happens when the blue tires age. Still, also best I can tell the fins on the tires are worn more than I care for no matter what color the tires are. I had to download the picture and enlarge its preview to see that, though.

Thank you ALL for the great advice. I was able to get ahold of the previous owner of the machine and they helped me navigate those two green dials a little better. It also just took some trial and error. The feed wheels are in pretty good shape, and I also did some cleaning of the feed area in general.

Thanks again!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ion View Post
    Thank you ALL for the great advice. I was able to get ahold of the previous owner of the machine and they helped me navigate those two green dials a little better. It also just took some trial and error. The feed wheels are in pretty good shape, and I also did some cleaning of the feed area in general.

Thanks again!
    Awesome - glad you got it sorted! Can you share what the previous owner told you? I am having trouble with 65# cover stock. I have tried lots of dial adjustments and more and still no luck. I also have new feed tires so any advice / suggestions would be helpful - thanks!

Don't know how much this will help, but it sounds a little like the elevator height might not be at spec.
    Or, depending on the finish of the paper you are using the paper thickness lever might be in the wrong position.
    Can't see what you or your machine are doing, so just a couple of suggestions that might be helpful.
    Sorry if that was a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by filmplane View Post
    Awesome - glad you got it sorted! Can you share what the previous owner told you? I am having trouble with 65# cover stock. I have tried lots of dial adjustments and more and still no luck. I also have new feed tires so any advice / suggestions would be helpful - thanks!
    I'm still experimenting and learning different dial settings for different papers, but for 65# cover I've found that it works good if the left positioned green dial is pointed at the largest circle (12 o clock) and the right positioned green dial is pointed left of the screw (at about 10 o clock). Other than that make sure the lever is switched to "card."

I hope this helps!

What is the color of the separation flap/pad/roller on the stripper unit?
    If your machine has a flap (thin rubber piece) on the stripper unit, it should be green. The yellow colored one might work, but the green one works best in general purpose applications.
    If it has the pad (thick rubber piece), it should be amber (kind of a brownish yellow).
    If there is a roller on the stripper unit, I'd ditch that unit and get one that has the pad. The roller was designed for a very specific purpose (which I don't remember right now) and didn't work well all the time in general purpose applications.
    Also, be aware that the thick paper setting on the Riso GR line was for index card stock. So if the thick paper you are trying to feed doesn't have the smooth finish of index card stock, the heavy paper setting will make misfeeds worse.
    Last edited by Iowatech; 05-03-2015 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Additional information needed.