Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Riso Riso FR3950 ep-a

Hi I recently got a Riso FR3950 ep-a as a replacement machine for my RP3700 that sadly broke down.Anyway I canīt get good print results when printing from an Acrobat pdf on typography and text, it gets really fuzzy.
    The thing that bewilders me is that the software that belongs to the fr3950 is called SC3500 which is a system controller that rips the pdf for great results.
    Do I have to have that to get good print results?
    The printing options on the computer is really limited and the result seems to be better when I use the flatbed scanner instead of a PDF.

Appreciate any ideas and tips!

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: Riso Riso FR3950 ep-a

Quote Originally Posted by imax View Post
    Hi I recently got a Riso FR3950 ep-a as a replacement machine for my RP3700 that sadly broke down.Anyway I canīt get good print results when printing from an Acrobat pdf on typography and text, it gets really fuzzy.
    The thing that bewilders me is that the software that belongs to the fr3950 is called SC3500 which is a system controller that rips the pdf for great results.
    Do I have to have that to get good print results?
    The printing options on the computer is really limited and the result seems to be better when I use the flatbed scanner instead of a PDF.

Appreciate any ideas and tips!
    The differences between the computer options are kind of hard to understand, until you consider the FR line was made with the computer technology available in the 1980s/1990s in mind, then it starts to make a weird sort of sense if you think about it.
    It's a shame really. I liked the FR line when it wasn't obsolete, and if you have one that works well on its own you have a gem and you should run it hard until it physically falls to pieces. Just don't expect it to operate like newer machines, because it can't.
    Last edited by Iowatech; 05-12-2015 at 04:30 AM.

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar

Re: Riso Riso FR3950 ep-a

Like IT responded, your older FR cannot quite understand the newer print interpolation. An older RIP, like the SC3500 would probably produce great results when teamed up with a PC running Win95, but because of advancements in technology, the older machine can only guess at what the end result should look like now. Kinda like a font substitution thing, it will try it's best to give the results, but it just doesn't have all of the correct information.
    2000 mockingbirds = 2 kilomockingbirds