Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gar the pilot

Tired of the rain, Oregon tech looking for a job in western USA

I have 30+ years experience, Service and sales, mostly Mita ( Kyocera ), HP and Samsung. I work on most brands as we are a small office in a small town. 19 years at current job, wife just got "downsized" from an Accounting job. We have been talking for the last 5 years of moving to someplace warmer and less raining. Her job kept us from doing anything about it as she HAD great bennie's. Dry cold okay as I took her to Colorado during a Christmas/New Years Vacation and we got snow and "0'" temps. Dry cold works. I fly so nice flying weather is another draw.
    My back-ground is Electronics training in the Air-Force, component level troubleshooting, NASA soldering standards. Started on office equipment in Hawaii in 1981 after my Air-Force service. Moved to Oregon 1984 ( Oregon PhotoCopy ) and worked on Mita and Sharp copiers, Service manager 1987 to 1994. Moved to Roswell NM to work with a company that was going to expand and I would be the Branch Manager, I worked as a tech on mostly Mitas but also on Canon, Knoica, Toshiba, and Ricoh. They sold to Ikon before the expansion and my former Company had sold in my absence.
    I visited Oregon in 1996 and a start up company ran by my former manager at Oregon Photocopy ( before my Promotion to Manager ) invited me to join him 19+ years ago. I have been doing Service and Sales, and am the Lead tech. I also attend Chamber meetings and other Business Organizations as the rep for our company. . I work on a base + commissions and am very motivated to Spoil my Clients. Evening/weekend work when needed and toner delivery's after hours for those who goofed but need to finish a project. I have sold copiers/printers at stores and malls when bumping into clients. I can show my face anywhere in town without a worry. I am also the EAA ( Experimental Aircraft Association) Chapter President and have given over 100 free rides to kids ( Young Eagles Flights). As I am busy in the field most of the time I sometimes only check this site once a week. If you have an opening in the western USA but not the west coast, Please let me know as we should talk.
    Thank You
    Gar the Pilot

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Re: Tired of the rain, Oregon tech looking for a job in western USA

Very Impressive resume there Gar the pilot. Anyone acquiring your skill set would have technical asset aplently. Good luck in your search.

What i am seeing now is the effects of these newer machine performance and reliability. Yes, they still break down, but employers are pushing the techs to service more machine per techs. we use to do buyouts from leases and rebuild, but that has gone now. lot less work now than before. On the bright side, machines are what they are and will still need the human care for now that is.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

That's amazing Gar. I'm coming to think that it's parts changers that many companies want, not techs that can think and innovate.

If I can make a humble suggestion, it sounds like you're an extraordinary position. You may not appreciate it now but you will. I've made the change a few times. Sometimes you don't think it can be worse, but believe me, it can. You should stay. Weather isn't a good enough reason.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Gar the pilot

Black Kat, there is more to the possible move than weather.
    My wife has "ex" problems here and most of our extended family has moved away too. Our parents are gone now, so no need to stay and care for them. Only 1 kid at home, he is 22 and needs to launch. My boss is near retirement and hasn't given us a clue on how soon and what he intends to do with the company. As I do good with sales and service commissions, I have earned an okay living but, the boss hasn't given me a raise in a long time. I grew up in California but everyone in the Family has left there and their cost of living is WAY high. My wife will look for work around here. She does see this as an opportunity to look at other other States. Other than when she was under 7 years old, she has only lived within 15 miles of where we are now. I have lived in most of the western states ( Air Force ) and have worked on Uncles farm's and ranch's in other states as a teen too.
    We are on our 8th year of Marriage and I have showed her most of the Western States via Flying/Driving Vacations. We both like to ride motorcycles and fly Airplanes along with other out-of-doors activities. I have her gardening and raising farm animals ( right now we just have chickens ).
    So If an opportunity shows up elsewhere we will consider it. We have been looking into the idea of moving for a while but with both jobs and her kids here ( the daughter has now left and her son just turned 22) we have not looked hard. Now that she is looking for a job and the kids are mostly grown we can be mobile.
    My Boys are grown and their jobs has pulled them away too. With Flying small Planes we can be anywhere in the Western States in a day so we can catch up with our spread out Clan. I figure another 10+ years of work as my wife is 7 years younger than I am. I may take up flight training as a retirement job, I still have ratings to earn before I can become a CFI ( flight trainer). I am a good worker and would be an asset to any company.
    Thanks for your thoughts
    Gar the Pilot

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

If I weren't married or tied to a property, I thought it might be enjoyable to travel about, working 3 or 6 months, here and there, as a temporary hire. There's a post that I read here about another tech doing that. I don't anticipate that it will ever happen for me.

It's an exciting time when you face so many unknowns. I'm sure that there's a dealer out there looking for your talents. Please keep us informed on your adventures. There's no shortage of opinions here. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Don't you just hate to see a bird in a cage, i do. fly Gar, fly, that is your karma. You definitely not a peacock. I am sure you have something under the mattress for the unforseen days. Most of us will dream, while some take the bull by the horns. The nest is empty, so the bird can fly. Enjoy. envy you.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Gar, we're working to expand our company here in NE Oklahoma (about an hour from Tulsa, Fayetteville, and Ft. Smith) areas. We need someone who understands sales from the "consultant/service/support" side not the "knock them in the creek/burn you out approach" too many companies have adopted. Let's visit to see what kind of fit might exist.

Chuck/RLC

Gar the pilot

Hi Chuck, I will call Tuesday morning if that works for you.
    Thank You for the interest
    Garwin

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Garwin,

You bet. I have a 9:30 meeting that requires some travel time. Given that we're on Central Time, call my cell phone (918.457.7036) between 11a and 1p CT (9a-11a Pacific). I should be back in the office by 4pm CT. Office number is 918.708.1220.

Chuck/RLC

Gar the pilot

Chuck, will do. I like your web-site, looks like you cover a large section of your State. Housing looks nice too.