Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Jumping Ship

Senior Tech 100+ Posts TheBlueOrleans's Avatar

Jumping Ship

How about a thread where people are leaving one company for another, or even just transferring between company locations, and might want to give a heads up to others that the branch they're departing may need to replace them.

End of next week I will be leaving Konica Minolta as well as The State of Ohio to go work for Systel in North Carolina.
    Explanation unnecessary, therefore not posted.

So my current branch might have a req. (pronounced "wreck") open fairly soon for a field tech. Can't guarantee they will, but I imagine they would.
    Somewhere there is a tree working hard to produce oxygen for you to live, NOW GO APOLOGIZE TO IT!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Jumping Ship

Re: Jumping Ship

Congratulations ... I think. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Geo's Avatar

Good luck...The best to you and all your loved ones..

Cheers..

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts robscopyr's Avatar

I left the copier industry just 45 days ago. I now work on ATM and Smart Safes, so far it is the best career decision I've made in a LONG time. I worked in the copier world for over 25 years, and have worked for every type of company out there- from a one man start up to a Major manufacturers branch- and I have not been happy for years. Jumping ship is hardly ever the answer, it is just a temporary fix for a much larger issue. We all need to find a place where we are happy doing what we do, as technicians we are prone to look for and find the problem and then do what we can to fix it. If you don't respect or like the person or entity that you work for fixing the problem is not possible, and jumping ship is the only choice. It's really too bad that try out a company for few moths before we commit to quitting one place to move on to another (possibly much worse) situation. Fortunately for me I am a better than average electro-mechanical tech, and I have discovered that my skills DO transition into another field that is NOT filled with IT geeks that think (and sometimes prove) that they are smarter than me.
    Good luck in your new position, focus on the positive and you will succeed.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Jumping Ship

After working on copiers/printers/addressing systems/facsimile/typewriters and everything in between for over 33 years and 30 on my own, cant imagine working on anything or anybody else. The business has been very good to us, well..priceless. Glad I didn't go to work for the companies that took over the accounts(was a Sharp/Minolta dealership) when the one I was working for back in 88 went belly up. That's when I started my business, not always easy, but, overall its been a very good life. Good Luck on your new job, and hope your have much success.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Jumping Ship

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueOrleans View Post
    How about a thread where people are leaving one company for another, or even just transferring between company locations, and might want to give a heads up to others that the branch they're departing may need to replace them.

End of next week I will be leaving Konica Minolta as well as The State of Ohio to go work for Systel in North Carolina.
    Explanation unnecessary, therefore not posted.

So my current branch might have a req. (pronounced "wreck") open fairly soon for a field tech. Can't guarantee they will, but I imagine they would.
    wow Systel? sorry to hear that... they ride a techs back like a 400# whore.. good luck.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts TheBlueOrleans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    wow Systel? sorry to hear that... they ride a techs back like a 400# whore.. good luck.
    Wouldn't be much different from what I'm putting up with now. It's a lot smaller area, I get to learn another brand (not possible in current position), higher pay, company vehicle (2015 transit) and it's in a geographic location that I've wanted to be in for a long time. Not that far from Black Mountain, Chimney Rock, and Pisgah Forest.
    Somewhere there is a tree working hard to produce oxygen for you to live, NOW GO APOLOGIZE TO IT!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Jumping Ship

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueOrleans View Post
    Wouldn't be much different from what I'm putting up with now. It's a lot smaller area, I get to learn another brand (not possible in current position), higher pay, company vehicle (2015 transit) and it's in a geographic location that I've wanted to be in for a long time. Not that far from Black Mountain, Chimney Rock, and Pisgah Forest.
    maybe the group up there is better than the Raleigh area Systel.... and yes that is some great territory Lake Lure and others have great fishing!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Went to work for Mass Transit System as Electronics Repair Tech 3 years ago, kept my 50% shares of a copier service and a printing shop - dedicate some time to them every day tough. So far, so good, thank God.
    Good money/benefits/pension and still have a chance to get my hands dirty in toner/ink, gets me a little tired at the end of the day - I don't get any younger but all day I am doing something interesting, challenging with results that can be seen.