Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Expected Wages/benefits?

I'm Currently a Pre-press Operator/Key-op on multiple digital Presses in a reputable Print company, and was recently approached by one of my service techs and offered a job as a service tech in the company he works for.

I've worked with this Tech for over a year now on my Canon ImagePress 7000, but also have two Konica 6501's and two Konica 1050e machines that I operate. Outside of copiers and Digital Presses, I have over 10 years as a pre-press operator, working on client files on both Mac and PC platorms.

I've done the 100 and 200K QA's on the ImagePress 7000 (I know these are very basic operations and most monkeys can be taught to do them), along with replacing Fuser webs, pulling and diagnosing pitted Drums, Pulling entire developer units, drums, wires, waste developer cleaning rollers, on the Imagepress.

One the Konicas, I've replaced, taken apart and refitted Drum Assemblies and cleanng blades, adusted skew correction, and pulled the fuser cleaning web.

Here's my Question. Given my background and limited service experiece what should I be expecting to be offered or holding out for with this job offer? An insight or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Copier techs do not make much money. Any extra money they do make is usually based upon bonuses or car allowance, if you play the game right. The base salary is usually low, but entice people with the thought of making big bucks with the bonus program....just what I've seen in my 15 yrs in the business.
    Michael Conway

Thanks for the reply. What you've said is pretty close to the impression I got so far. I wasn't told much about pay yet, but was told that the benefits are really good. Your comment was the first I'd heard of bonuses though.

I'm not looking to make a killing, just be able to support my family, and spend more time with them.

The job would be M-F 8-5, which is nice. I know you have experience with those particular models, but if you aren't "trained" it doesn't mean much. Expect to be offered in the $10-$15/hr range.
    Michael Conway

who is the company?
    Michael Conway

The Company is Advanced Business Methods (ABM). Their Web site is ABMAOS.com.

They have an onsite instructor with some offsite training as well (of course).

I haven't heard of them. It couldn't hurt to talk to them. If they offer a comany vehicle, that is a huge perk. What's the worst that could happen, they would just offer you something lower than what you currently make, or they may beat it. I'd say talk to them; nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    Michael Conway

Thanks again for your input. I'm definitely going to talk to them. I'm keeping an open mind to something different and who knows how it will play out. A good friend of mine always said, "You can't turn down a job that hasn't been offered yet, and you never know what they'll offer until you talk to them."

By the way, There is a company vehicle and 401K match up to 8%, along with other benefits I still need to get details on.

Thanks again!

School District Tech 500+ Posts schooltech's Avatar
    The copier repair industry is a strange one. Techs will be of the mindset that the industry, as a whole, doesn't pay very well. They are right, generally speaking, yet we end up being techs for 20-30 years.....so go figure.

Your hours will usually be 8-5, and there is 'relative' freedom, but with GPS and calls being sent to and closed from phones, big brother is around the corner. Smaller outfits will usually give you more opportunities to wear multiple hats, which can have both good and bad consequences.

In these times, you really need to have adequate IT skills for network and connectivity issues that are GUARANTEED to pop up with the equipment. This will, of course, make you much more marketable for the company and yourself if you need to move on someday.

With your own car, many techs will pad their mileage a bit. Company cars are nice, but it reduces your overall pay structure. I say that because for myself and the huge territories I've had in the past, I made some great money with my mileage checks. I know this is to be kept separate, but realistically techs will look forward to having that 'additional' income.

Structured bonuses can be nice, and how each company will pay these out will vary quite a bit.

I would say that being a tech is a pretty good gig. To make your job great, as with any job, WHERE you work will be so eye-opening as to how you feel about wanting to go to work each day. Some places can make it really suck to be a tech, as you're costing the company money rather than making the company money (as with sales.) This is the main reason that techs are scrutinized so closely. Again, some places are great, and others..............well........

I would, as Conway said, check them out. Find out about all of the structured bonuses if you can. See how they handle their day-to-day operations, and ride around with a tech. You need to see how they treat their techs, because if they treat their techs crappy you'll get frustrated quickly (at least from my experience.)

Good luck!!!
    Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Comptia A+, Comptia Network+