Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    There are about 5 big dealers in my town. I would bet I could make more at any of the others, but although I would welcome more money, I work here for things money don't buy. Job security... if things get bad, I am sure I would be one of 3 techs kept. Freedom... I get a lot of freedom to work how I want to, book my own calls, make up my own prices. I told several customers I would give them two years free labor on some color printers I was trying to sell. I told the owner after the fact and he was cool with it. We all get along so it is kind of like family.

Boss pays half my insurance
    Two weeks vac
    Company truck- 2007 Tacoma
    With 11 years I make a little more than they do in Texas
    Kick ass Halloween party
    Christmas party
    Get commission if I sell-20%
    If you take care of business it is pretty easy going most time.
    Training?? We don't need no stinking training!!
    Off the street with no experience, as low as 8 to 10 an hour to start.
    No time clock, don't have to log in and out on calls, just do them.

If you want to compare with something, while I was waiting for my delivery driver in front of a building, I was talking to one of the office workers. He was telling me he makes $87,000 a year and when the Army command moves here he wants to transfer over to them cause they will make more money. Office worker...Just have to get a top secret security clearance.
    Last edited by fixthecopier; 01-21-2010 at 09:02 PM. Reason: add info
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    i am with joe from buffalo, i am tired of cheep dealers/ that think that all a tech is for to be used as a scape goat
    every time a a-- h--- of a sales man lies to a customer
    being form texas unions are not liked here but some thing has to be done

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by CartridgeWiz View Post
    18 years with copiers/printer/fax machines currently $27.00 an hour.
    before i started my own biz, my pay was 50 Euros a day, that's like 1000 a month, after 5 years of servicing. How much was your monthly income? somebody else from Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by netcomval View Post
    before i started my own biz, my pay was 50 Euros a day, that's like 1000 a month, after 5 years of servicing. How much was your monthly income? somebody else from Europe?
    Im from Norway, and i earn about 2800 euros a month, and thats pretty low for Norwegian standars. Been a tech for 3 years now.
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Foe from Buffalo View Post
    Lets join or start a union and then we will get our deserved pay. I hear by nominate Jules Winfield to get it going....do I have a second on this motion?
    That's actually a REALLY good idea! I'll second and third it. Remember when Xerox screwed over (thousands I think) of technicians because they were deemed not necessary then the downtime on their machines increased. I see technicians like accountants or cashiers...if they all walked out and left their jobs one day...the entire company would collapse and go bankrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by scallanjoe@yahoo.com View Post
    i have about 18 yr's in the field 5 prepress eq/10 with konicaminolta
    and 3 w/dealers
    last 2 dealers needed a k&m tech tech i got 18.00 hr and as soon as they got there 13.00 hr guys trained i was not needed.
    last dealer so cheep he lied so he would not have to pay unemploymet
    But i had My coustomer's backing me and got it dealers do tend not to give a C--- about any of there people in texas any way
    Wow, that's ridiculous! I read somewhere that for copier salespeople that do well end up making six figure incomes. If that's true no wonder there's no money left to pay the techies.

Plus there's little skill or talent to selling a copier. I was reading this book "How to sell copiers" and it basically said it's all a numbers game...e.g., call XXX number of people, setup YY number of appointments, equals sell Z number of copiers. My dead grandmother could do that!

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpd@businessprints.net View Post
    Wow, that's ridiculous! I read somewhere that for copier salespeople that do well end up making six figure incomes. If that's true no wonder there's no money left to pay the techies.
    I worked with a few sales reps ( I am a tech not a sales rep) that had 50-60k by March 1 off of their commissions. And the techs got 30k a year. Also at one company if you turned in a sales lead that put a 85 page per minute machine in an account then you received a $50 tip lead. if it was a fax machine you got $5.

By the way is 14.00 an hour good for 15 years of experience??
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Foe from Buffalo View Post
    Lets join or start a union and then we will get our deserved pay. I hear by nominate Jules Winfield to get it going....do I have a second on this motion?
    Wait what? Ummm... I don't want the guy that works for us that can barely fix a toaster making as much as I do. Or the people that I have to follow up after making as much as I do. I bust my ass for a reason, and the reason is the green. I spent MY TIME learning what I could so I could make more money.

**edit**

this in NO WAY reflects any of my co-workers, I was just that as an example.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
    I worked with a few sales reps ( I am a tech not a sales rep) that had 50-60k by March 1 off of their commissions. And the techs got 30k a year. Also at one company if you turned in a sales lead that put a 85 page per minute machine in an account then you received a $50 tip lead. if it was a fax machine you got $5.

By the way is 14.00 an hour good for 15 years of experience??
    I'm not sure if it's on par statistically for your area...but in my opinion I think it should be higher...but I'm the guy that has thought for years that minimum wage should be at least $10/hour.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpd@businessprints.net View Post
    I'm not sure if it's on par statistically for your area...but in my opinion I think it should be higher...but I'm the guy that has thought for years that minimum wage should be at least $10/hour.
    Bye bye $1.00 Taco's.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.