Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Recruiter

Industry Job Market

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed an increase in the job market and/or opportunities for techs in recent months? Over the past six months, we seem to be getting many more requests from our clients for experienced technicians. And...it seems as though experienced techs that are willing to make a career move are getting harder & harder to find.

Soooo...what's up with all this, guys? Why the increase in demand, and the decrease in supply? I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Experienced Technicians

The problem I have seen is that the old timers are doing just enough to get by and the younger guys are migrating to full support of networks. Dealers don't like to pay our guys top dollar for the services that they provide. Numbers dictate where we go. I deal with Prescribe, AS/400, Mac, Windows etc., but the pay does not reflect the expertise. You have to be multi-talented with insufficient pay and that sucks. 40k used to okay, now, depending what your cost of living is, that barely gets us even. So I have to work at night fixing laptops and computers, and if the pay supports me, numbers dictate outcome.
    Programmers don't die, they gosub without return...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts knightfall's Avatar
    some of the older technicians who only handled the analog copier are retiring and must be replaced leaving openings but a lot of copier companies are not paying that well unless you happened to be already trained on production equipment and color equipment or if you know the more popular rips. 5 years ago making 40 k was decent now its an insult, for all we do install printer/copier, network connection, print/scan to pc,email and ftp no less than 50k is what we require. as warnock said numbers dictate where we go.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

Recruiter
    Payscale for techs is obviously a sensitive subject for many in the field, I agree. But the one thing that is probably working in your advantage right now is the fact that there are many companies out there that have a real shortage of trained, qualified techs. That has driven up the starting pay rates in many markets. And, obviously, the more experience, certifications & credentials you can bring to the table, the greater your value to the hiring company.

Obviously, the industry is quickly trending toward connectivity and color. The more you're able to learn about those areas, the more money you can command in the job market. So I would suggest that you take advantage of any training opportunities you can get in those areas of the business.

However, I still know firsthand that there are a lot of companies out there that are looking for experienced techs without the connectivity background. Depending on their need, some will pay above-market rates to get qualified techs.

Technician
    Most of our more experienced techs are staying around, they like the work, and are comfortable in their knowledge. Many dealers are seeing an increase in their machine populations. And with the response times that customers demand and deserve, and competition, additional techs are needed.

Also, some recruiters (at least from my experience) have in the past advised their clients to 'move on' as soon as the opportunity presents itself, thus creating more of a revolving door. Always looking for the better deal. (Not necessarily a bad thing.)

In our case, keep the techs happy, they stay. Pay them fairly, treat them fairly, they stay. Until something of absolute better value is presented to them, or the are READY for a change. The field can be a bear.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    Industry Job Market

The only increase in the job market I've witnessed is at the dealer I work for. here in the midwest we've picked up 3 veteran tech's in the last 10 months. All due to layoffs from the big boys. Our dealership has been on the upswing and We like to find experianced tech's when possible. And you are right that a tech dosn't always have to be a network wizzard, but they should be PC literate.

Technician

Angry Demand for tech

This sound real strange to me I am having hell getting employed in this field.I live in nyc study real hard to get the know how of a copier and laserjet printer.I am detail oriented know the copy procec and printer process.I think most employer are to jugemental this corporate field is living hell for me.I did my training course at QBI The Training Institute in July 7 end date December 2004.What I realize is who you know it hearts like hell to study real hard.To know some thing then to see it never manifest.The greatest feeling I have towards this Field the Photocopier and laser jet industry.Is to meet another student and here he or she are you Cecil.The Electronic Office Machine Repair instructor talks highly of you. He is compareing other student to you that is realy sweet hard work does pay of to some degree.
    Last edited by Techcec; 04-23-2007 at 06:05 AM.

Service Manager 100+ Posts CanonHPTech's Avatar

Reply to NY Job Seeker

Wow, hard time in NY?... that does sound a lil' strange. Just remember, that most of the bigger companies are always hiring, like Canon Business Solutions, or Konica Business Solutions, even though they do not advertise. A lot of techs I work with, just walked into their current employer, in between service calls with their previous employer and did an instant interview. I tell you that the dirty secret in this industry is (and I hear this alot), is that as long as you can turn a screwdriver and have basic mech. skills (automotive, constrution trades) then they will hire you at entry level. Trust me, a good dealer or company with a good sales force sells more contracts and has a wide teritory and is always looking for 'bodies' as they cleverly call them, to meet response times and just get someone into the customers location before 5:00pm. If you have training under your belt, (wasn't even aware that schools teach this!), and the basics, you should be fine. Just becareful with your people skills. Most importantly give the customer what they want and never look like you do not know what you are doing (even if you don't, and most likely you won't especially if you land a job with a multi-brand dealer, who is willing to give any make/model/age a shot). I tell you that my employer is always looking for techs or 'bodies', but they are not in your area. Also, be willing to work for 25K-30K a year to start and get limited mileage reimbursement for your gas. But as many have said here- this is not really a get rich industry. Just gotta have a strange love for the copy process- and super glue. Good luck sir. I wish you all of the best.

Technician

Talking Where the industry is going-Tech in demand

Thank Each and Every One For Your Educational Input
    Thanks TO: CanonHPTech,Toner bomb,Tech Lady,dialrecruiting,KnightFall.Warnock.
    I was an Automotive technician for about fourteen years, I did three years in school.The Jamaican German Automotive School six month at Apex Technical School in Nyc.I am mechanically inclined.
    I have send my resume to Canon and Konicaminolta about a zillion time with no responce.I have tried Kyocera about four times I even had an interview with there service manager.I did A+ and Network+ Certification course at ACE Computer Training Center.I recieved my certification of completion but I am not Comptia certified as yet.I guest it is not my time but I hope one day the door will open with the right company.
    I know for a fact that connectivity is one of the main areas in the industry.Connecting a printer I know scan to email or faxing from a copier I would have to learn.I have just made a positive move by getting a motor car.I have seen companies seeking techs but they must have a car.
    Thank you hall for your educational input and advise.
    I have mentioned in my earlier post about it is who you know.
    This is 100% fact even my Instructor mentioned it to me it is true.
    I know the close doors will open for me one day this is afield that I love very much.The is nothing more gratified that to walk into a client site with a down machine,and then get it up and running.I will keep all of these advise in mind at all times.Thank 100% this lift a down spirit.