Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Question xerox job offers / Paladin Consulting

Hello all!
    Xerox is stabbing their full-time employees in the back and outsourcing to consulting companies, apparently. I work for a Ricoh/Sharp dealer in Cleveland OH area and the consulting company wants me to take an online service test to be a Xerox tech for them (same area).
    Anyone have opinions on teching for Xerox vs. Ricoh dealers? It would be a bit more money but also a pain in the butt to have to learn a new line of machines. I also would get tools/laptop/phone provided, which my current company does not do. (thus I don't really need that stuff as I already have it).
    However, it's an 18 month contract and after that I'd have to hope that Xerox hired me on.
    Morgan

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    I fell into that trap when the service agency's were disbanded and they have no intention of hiring contractors at the end of their term. They will "no longer have need for your services" but a year later they will ask if you want to do it again...
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    thank you for the tip . . . of course it's laughable that they should need techs now and not need them in 18 months when the economy will probably be better, but what they'll claim is another story. You were great in wrath of khan by the way.

I worked for the big X for 12 years. Left there 11 years ago. I still know some of the tech that work there and most of them wants to leave. They will bring you on at a good pay but then little pay increase after that. i like working for a dealer better than a big company. you'll only be a number to xerox.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Angry xerox and consultants / contractors

I would say don't do it. I'm currently working as a Xerox tech, after being unemployed for about 8 months. Had to take it, refusing would kill my unemployment.

They tell you at the end of the 18 months you might get permanent status, but that is a lie. If you are contract, you have to leave for at least three months. If you fill a super critical need, you might get a two or three month "extension", but you definitely have to leave. They don't even always get their end dates right, so you have to badger your Xerox manager to get your end date corrected. Also, there are no benefits, no nothing. If you're lucky and get the right contract company, the contract company will pay 1 week vacation after a year. They let you buy health care, but make no contribution toward it, no contribution toward retirement, nothing. And you are NEVER referred to as a Xerox employee, you are always an employee of the contract company.