Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salary question

ps851112

Salary question

Im fairly young and new to the industry, im 24 and have been a tech for 3 years.
    I was hired into the company to help with network/pc related issues in the field, I also work on mechanical and electrical issues and get used as a support person more then anything else.

I was hired at 31500 a year and reached 32500 after being there for a few months, I am always getting compliments from all the management staff for my knowledge and dedication to getting the job done.
    Sales agents request for me when they are having a new machine installed or upset customers.
    I am helping other techs over the phone quite frequently with problems and usually drive out to the tech, this has severely effected my numbers.

I had gotten transferred to a different district, not far from my original, while I was at this new district I was suppose to receive a promotion because ive been doing a the job of a "Tech 2" and started as a "Tech 1".
    I ended up getting transferred back to my previous district almost a year later and have yet to see the promotion.

I just found out yesterday that they had promoted a tech that I was training and still help over the phone constantly for network related issues.
    In 2008 my company did some layoffs that didn't effect my part of the country but they also did a massive salary cut which brought me down to 28k year.
    I use a personal vehicle which I get an allowance 250 a month, plus mileage reimbursement on a monthly basis. This car is almost dead due to how much I have to drive, average 2.5 k a month.

I am raving mad because they promoted this tech that I had trained yet left me where I am, I feel very un-appreciated and lied to, they told me it would not be in the budget for a promotion.

I would like to know what most people think I should be making based on their experiences, is it wrong to expect I should be given a promotion and a raise?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Salary question

It's always that way....
    some people kiss ass and get promoted.
    get used to it

BR

Copier Ninja 100+ Posts KEVIN900's Avatar
    Hey ps85, there may be other factors. I was a 24 year old tech at one point, and it's no cake walk. Employers treat young workers as more expendable. Young workers get a bad rap as hot heads, or will quit at a moments notice. In New Jersey, it's difficult to be taken seriously in any profession until you're over 25. Perhaps the guy you trained, that got the promotion has a wife & kids, or some other reason that's not related to job. Bosses will promote married guys faster, also. And I mean this in the nicest way possible, but you mentioned feeling raving mad, unappreciated, and lied-to. A more mature, level-headed, and promotion worthy response would have you feeling disappointed. One of the best lessons a tech can learn, is how to stay calm, and if that's not possible, removing yourself from the situation. Perhaps a meeting with the decision maker may guide you in the steps you can make to be the promotion getter next time. Maybe even ask if he ever sees promotion in your future. If not, don't up and quit; brush up the resume. The economy is getting better, and I predict a massive turn-over of employees across all professions. I didn't get a raise throughout this recession, and that will not be forgotten. Good luck.
    Kevin900

Technician
    Salary question

My advice... Keep your mouth shut. Train, Train, Train. Become PDI+ Net+ and anything else you can manage. Then find someplace who WANTS you. This is the fastest way to climb the ladder. Invest in yourself, I've seen many who figure why do it. The employer won't reward the hard work. But you know what??? Somebody else certainly will. Then you will get paid.
    Net+ PDI+ @Remote

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    Good points Kevin and Black cloud. Invest in yourself and don't just go technical. Try some seminars on personal communication and business writing. Look into toastmasters in your area. You can learn to speak in front of people and gain confidence that shows on the oustside. The last thing you should do is eat on this, let it go and remember the employer is running a busisness and not concerned with bettering you. Keep doing a good job so they have no reason to complain. Good luck.

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar
    You wouldn't happen to work for Ikon would you? Ikon= I Know Only Numbers. The joke about the boat race made me LOL it so described Ikon.
    When my wife was pregnant with our 1st kid I decided to grow up and apply myself to my job. I asked what I had to do to get a promotion, and was given some goals. I poured myself into work and put in 100+ hours of my own time into NetG training while my wife was pregnant. After 2 years of working hard, meeting and exceeding every goal set in my review, I asked why I haven't been promoted. It came down to #'s, specifically my response time was in the 8hr range. Call backs were 10-12%, 4+ call per day average and parts usage was always under budget, but it's all about response time and people who did 2 calls a day but had 1 hr response time got promoted. Another thing which I could rant about Ikon is Territory Manager, perhaps the worst software program shat upon this earth besides Runhz....Managers are duped into thinking one guy is working hard while another is barely staying afloat when in reality it is the opposite. I knew 2 techs that admitted they only worked from 9-1 everyday and created 1/3 of their own calls just to "look" busy.

Anyway, you sound like a good tech to me and must have done something right to get $32500 so quick, my advice is if you stay there learn to play the numbers game so he has to promote you or find another dealer but don't let it get to you too much, many big companies just don't care about people and just need a warm body to do the work. Many dealers won't pay much more than $28k, but don't be afraid to ask for $33k. It may take a while but if you find a good fit it can be a good thing.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts copyman20's Avatar
    Find something (naked pictures, with misstress, with another man) that you can use to black mail your boss.

mshaffer
    I read your story and feel compeled to reply. I too was 26 years old in the industry and had some similar experiences. I had gone through extensive military electronics school, worked on pretty sophisticated equipment, got out and started working on copiers and seemed to see nothing but roadblocks early in my career. However, I really liked the work so I wanted to stay. I ended up moving to a couple competitive employers in the early days...each time making small in-roads. However, I needed to have a strategic plan to move up or out. I made a time table, a move out/up plan and started making contacts in the industry...everyone and anyone. Just to get my name out there. This paid off with a training job with a manufacturer within 3 years. From there, I moved to branch, Zone, district, and other management jobs in this company. That was 33 years ago. I still have my hand in the equipment and am thankful for all the opportunities. I've raised my family, sent my kids to college and now am looking at retirement (if that's possible.) My point is this. Keep with this if you like it and are any good at it. I can tell you from very personal experience that there are no where near enough young people coming up in this business to fill the needs of the future. There are lots of guys like me in this business and we will be leaving in short order. There are not a lot of people coming up behind us. Here's the plan: Certifications - PDI+, Microsoft MCSE, CDIA+ Industry management training (BTA, BEI, etc, your manufacturers) But most of all... work hard, make yourself the obvious choice for promotion and...be patient (but not complacent).

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar
    First thought is- why did they promote him over you? Maybe he had private conversations with mgt, maybe he laid out a plan to the bosses that put him in a better position, I don't know. DO NOT feel slighted. Even though politics may have been involved, you will not gain anything by feeling dejected. Try to show your superiors that you were the one that put this person where he is now, and also show them (in a positive way) that you are still working with him daily in order for him to succeed- you are his guidance, and he depends on you for excellence. If the higher powers do not acknowledge this in a month or so, it may be time to send our resumes, or to have a heart-to-heart with the bosses.

ps851112
    Thank you all for your comments, I waited about a week to gain my composure and chill out about it. I spoke with my manager and he submitted a formal request for a promotion.
    It has reached our Regional Manager and approved, now just has to be approved by the National Service Manager.

We talked about the compensation and he told me if nothing came from the promotion he would be sure to push me back to where I was if not higher in the next 3 months.
    Turns out I'm making the least in our district which he had not noticed, I take this all with a grain of salt and understand business is business.

I never threatened to quit, but he stated he realized I have a strong potential for offers from other companies.

Regarding my anger to the situation, it was rash but I believe I acted no different then most in my situation. Prior to me finding out the other tech was promoted I was just in the disappointed state.

ddude, the reason I was not promoted over the other tech was due to the switch they made me do for the districts. My current district had no one who knew the network/pc/electronics side of the house and I had trained 3 techs in my previous district that were pretty competent, they still have to call for guidance but its much better then it used to be.
    Last edited by ps851112; 06-08-2010 at 06:23 AM.