Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Konica Minolta high volume trained - what's the going rate?

I'm going on a Konica Minolta C6000 training course & wondered what salary I should be expecting as I will be seeking a pay rise!
    Any suggestions?
    Or anybody looking for a high volume trained tec in East Anglia?
    I'm already trained on Sharp MX1100.

General Manager 50+ Posts copyruss's Avatar
    So, the company you're working for is investing in your education & training and you already are testing the water? Kind of a crappy thing to do. Why don't you prove that the training was worth their investment. that's how you get a raise - not by blackmail. "Give me a raise or else I'm outta here." Guys like you who burn their employers are what makes it hard for honest hard-working techs to get trained and get ahead in life. That's also the reason so many companies have Training Contracts - they send you to school, you stay for a year, or the cost of the training gets deducted from last check. That includes air travel, hotels and the salary you were paid while they paid for your education. Good luck, pal.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, I got to agree with copyruss. Just because an employer sends you to school(that they pay for, and pay your salary while your there) you can't expect a pay raise. Just be happy that you'll enjoy more job security.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Good replies! Training improves your knowledge, but putting this to work in the field is what improves your versatlilty and worth to your company. This will bring about the raise and job security.

Technician
    Thanks for the replies. The company I work for keep adding to my responsibilities and expecting more from me - which I give, for no extra salary. To my mind extra responsibility should equal a rise in salary. I agree that they are investing in me but previous companies that I have worked for have always added salary increments with succesfull completion of training courses. I would never say "Give me a raise or else I'm outta here.", as if someone said that to me I would call their bluff!
    It seems to me that certain employers have you over a barrel at the moment as they know there's nowhere else to go - the comments from management is "be gratefull you've got a job!". It's about time companies started looking after their employees better and appreciating the hard work that people put in and the vast experience that their workforce have.
    The industry isn't what it used to be!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Yes, that's true, the Industry isn't what is used to be, but then again nothing else is either. With the down turn in the economy and people losing jobs everywhere, I'm just glad I have a job. We've had a lot of layoffs over the last eight or so years, I do everything in my power to be the most valuable tech that I can be for the company, so when the layoff axe swings, hopefully it's not cutting me.
    If you want to get rich doing this, you will be disappointed.

Technician
    It's not a matter of getting rich - I've been doing the job long enough to know that will never happen being a toner monkey! It's just a matter of being appreciated, the industry is losing good people as salaries are going backwards. Guys are leaving as they are fed up with being pushed & pushed and being blackmailed over the possible loss of their job.
    The industry has always relied on the same 'pot' of engineers, unfortunately the pot is getting smaller & smaller due to retirements or people leaving the industry. At some point companies have got to start looking after their employees and taking on some new blood to train up. I know engineers in various copier companies and they are all regularly looking over their shoulders at redundancies - it's not the way it should be, especially when certain companies profits keep increasing!
    A happy, appreciated workforce = a better service provided to the customer.

Service Manager 100+ Posts linuxxpwin's Avatar
    You know I have been field service on canon, Xerox, konicaminolta, Ricoh and other photocopiers for the past 16 plus years, a lot of my experience came from my own wanting to succeed, as I have chosen this as my career, howeve with that said my aim and dream is to become a top class technician, but unfortunately I would not get it where I am presently, and I am looking for employment else where, I have been the only technician servicing 7 islands with a total of about 250 plus machines, all training done by me personally.
    I love being a technician but wish I can have an opportunity to expand and to be what I know I can do.

If anyone is looking for a good field service technician, then I am that guy.

teasea
    Good read and good perspective from both sides.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    I couldn't have said it better myself copyruss! I would add that ninety nine percent of employess in any industry feel like they are not paid what they are worth. I have had many employess over the years think it is easy to own and run a business, especially a business with so many moving parts. Do any of you have any idea of the staggering amount of money that has to go out every single month? A few of you do and you all know what I mean.
    It has been said here already, but factory training, although valuable until you understand how a copier works, is more to satisfy dealer agreements than it is to actually teach anything. I have over four dozen factory certificates from five different brands and not one of those certs had anything to do with the position I have attained. What did it for me was ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS DO GOOD WORK. That means following your routine and doing it right when no one is looking. Clean your machines, call your customers and keep your inventory straight and you will get the pay you so richly deserve.