Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Where do Ex-Copier tech's go ?

A couple years ago we partnered with a local commercial printer where we'd broker some deals with them. Real nice people, gave us decent pricing and commissions, and had a cool setup. Whenever I'd go in they seemed to always be busy but just a few years later they shut down with little notice.

Being in the printing industry is definitely tough right now. I'd say for about 90+% of the printers out there, there's always someone who can afford to charge less or do it quicker but not necessarily better. Unfortunately it seems to be an industry that is trying to recover from too many printers and too many customers that are only looking to pinch a penny.

I think you need to be in a specialized niche' printing market, something rare that not too many people do, then just do that or it seems you need to be one of the big players with the largest most technologically advanced presses to make gang runs and supplies the most efficient; otherwise it seems dismal that you're going to survive.

It's a tough predicament because you don't want to be the guy that competes on price alone but it's hard to say no to any order that will keep the press running and maybe make a little bit of money on. Unfortunately then that customer knows that you will discount your offering to that low price and may hold out or get someone else to match it. This then puts pressure on the printers which puts them in a position to put pressure on the copier dealers.

It's a tough world out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    Feel for your predicament buddy, but its not much fun being a printer at the moment either. I worked as a book printer for 25 years, then the company closed... thanks to short sighted publishers going to the far east for cheap prices. Now have a konica 6500 and a 2 col litho plus some finishing kit and it sure is tough trying to make it pay. But I will make it pay and hope better times return! Good luck to you.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Where do Ex-Copier tech's go ?

there is no such thing as an "Ex-Copier Tech", you just keep doing this shit until you die or go to prison. I hoping for prison so I can get some time off away from the family.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Where do Ex-Copier tech's go ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Yep that's exactly the my scope of work too. But I'm still afraid of servers though I know I'll have to start with it one day.

Is it really that complicated?

Hans

No. Think of servers as a host PC whose OS is on steroids. To learn it, I'd suggest getting an ISO of a server OS and getting a PC that has enough horsepower to run virtual machines; then, you could practice Active Directory, folder sharing, deploying shared printers, etc. And the beauty of it: you don't have to worry if you make a mistake, you could always restore to the last good snapshot.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ctl-Alt-Del View Post
    there is no such thing as an "Ex-Copier Tech", you just keep doing this shit until you die or go to prison. I hoping for prison so I can get some time off away from the family.
    OK, let's call it ''Veteran Copier Techs''. I can agree with you that this job is so tempting, that it's difficult to run away from it. But as the saying goes, ''even the best actor must exit the stage at some point''.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts doug94550's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    How do you like working for lexmark?
    Now that I have been here for a bit, not too impressed.