Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Field Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    If you're not working for your self

Re: If you're not working for your self

Wow what a territory! Some how they cover Surrey BC ( Canada ), from Hampshire UK. juliano your company sounds great the job offer made me smile.
    Online Store is closed. Chip resetting is a thing of the past! Thank you to all my past customers.
    Now into Ip TV KODI Boxes

No, it was not an oversight. We will include Surrey England and London Ontario in our territory too. We will be partners and will do service calls using private jets! lol

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

But when you are 50 and are tired

But when you are 35 and are tired, Is more like a time to take a shot at this. at least if it does not work out you have some years to recover.

At 50, three quarter way home, you have to cross all the t's and dot all the i's. I think everyone situation will be unique as to strengths and weakness and off course finance options ect. Most of the older techs IT skills are weak and that is something to consider.

I almost never hear techs in my surroundings speaking of going it alone. A few guys pooling their skills and of course money can be more effective.

Also must have a decent lawyer and accountant and listen to them.

I knows nothing of business, but i read the thread and felt, i could say a few.

But good discussion though, as many techs at one time or another have some visions of what that could be.

Technician

It's all sorted now......we've arranged daily flights from Canada to UK and a chauffeur to drive MFP around.....we've also booked suite at the Ritz so there's somewhere to stay if you need.....by the way, a client in Halifax has got a paper jam.....can you get there today?....The helicopter is on standby..the question is: is that Halifax UK or Halifax NS?????

Have a potential prospect in Mars. Negotiating the airfare with NASA

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Gents ,

I am very lucky to run my own service business , running the whole of a Ricoh based MIF in South East if any body is interested in a little self employed work or starting up on their own please pm me - as we are potentially expanding our base in the next three months - lots of travelling I'm afraid but potential financial benefits if you are prepared to work hard

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Screw it. After watching Napolean Dynamite, I've decided to reinvent myself. I'm gonna sell Tuperware door to door.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thumbs up Re: If you're not working for your self

Quote Originally Posted by pepper38_cnd View Post
    First off I'll apologize, this really belong in the Rants and Raves, because that is what i am about to do.

Dave I feel your pain, but I think what your suggesting is just plain "BAD AVICE" for most average Techs.

I have been in this business since 1979. For nine of those years I ran my own successful Dealership. I was forced to sell it due to divorce, and I have been working for the company that purchased it now for over 17 years. I still occasionally have one of those what if thoughts but I shake that shit out of my head real quick.

If your a tech thinking of taking Dave's advice, fantasizing about handing in the keys to the service vehicle and cell phone, and venturing out on your own! Let me give you a picture of reality.

Even if you are "The Best Tech in the World" it doesn't necessarily mean the you are capable of handling an entire business. You got to be "The Best Tech in the World" because somebody else invested the time and money to make you that way. Think back on all the mistakes you made ( scratched drums, blown boards ect..) none of that came out of your pocket. Some Business Owner or Company shouldered all the cost of getting you where you are today.

Now here is what starting your own office equipment business usually looks like ( from my experience ).

1. Take every penny you have, savings, retirement fund, kids college fund, spare change from the sofa cushions, everything and invest that in business start up.

2. Secure credit! That means putting everything you have home, car, fist born everything up for collateral .

3. Make sure your Spouse has a good paying job and is prepared to pay ALL the household bills for the next 3 years.

4. Prepare to start from scratch! All those customers that you have been servicing for years. They are still going to continue with the Company you left NOT YOU!

5. Every penny you make for the first 3 years will go right back into the business!

6. If you make it past the first 3 years ( if you don't see lines 1 & 2 everything is gone), you may now have a positive cash flow and start paying off your debts.

7. At this point you will have to deal with Payroll, asset management, employees, expanding insurance cost, you may need a larger commercial building.

8. If your Spouse is still with you they are complaining about: the amount of time you spend the office, lack of vacations, your not spending time with the kids, your new secretary is too cute. ( The list is too long to handle)

9. Five years have gone by, things are looking brighter but! The tech you hired 2 years ago and invested thousands of dollars in, although he is a very good tech, has developed an attitude. he believes the business can't survive without him, he is worth more money than you can afford to pay him, you are getting rich off of his blood and sweat.

10. You remember fondly the simpler days when all you had to do every day was fix machines, a steady pay check, regular vacations, and dinner every night with the wife . Ahh the good old days of simply being a great technician.

Which end of the stick is the shortest?
    I have to say it is not easy starting up an tech business. I began my journey 3 years ago and you have your up's and down's. But I never lost money from the get go. And now I have a partner that just bought 50% stake in my company and we were able to hire our first tech. First year lots of bumps now in our 3rd year and what a big difference I see. We have plenty of signed contracts. We mainly do Toshiba, Xerox, HP, and Sharp. So is it worth it I say yes.
    "Broken again"

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Very interesting thread. I made the jump 30 years ago. Never looked back. Made very good money, but never got vacations. Now its time to pass it on. Any one interested can PM me for a discussion.

Copymutt

Try using a bicycle to do calls, I @#$%ed up the company Audi A4. The joke was on me for a couple of days.