Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 250+ Posts Hemlock's Avatar

Looking for a color, desktop printer

So the boss wants to buy a couple of color printers, and I'm kinda having a tough time finding what we need; figured I'd ask here.

At one location, we're going to use it to print pictures (110 lb coated paper, non negotiable). Many will do this, but it usually has to be fed from the bypass tray. Most bypass trays max out at 100 sheets of 20lb (I'm guessing this translates to 15 to 20 sheets of picture stock). Are there any color boxes out there that handle a greater input volume? I'd imagine a straight through paper path, when using the really heavy stuff, would be preferable to the bending that usually occurs in a small printer.

At the other workstation we'll print perforated stock (nametags) and class certificates (32lb, nothing out of the ordinary). I'm assuming the perf paper will have to run through the bypass - do you think that the tire/cork pad setup that most small printers use will be any more prone to ripping than the multiple tires that copiers use? We've run this stock on Oce, Ricoh & Sharp full sized copiers without problems.

One of the IT guys suggested the Phaser printers (for quality). It's been years since I've even been near one - do they do a good image? Are supplies tough to come by since they're not as prevalent as dry ink systems?

thanks in advance!

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar
    Take a look at the Oki printers. Almost all color printers can handle 210 g/m2 and the big ones can handle 300 g/m2 (from the by-pass).

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Looking for a color, desktop printer

I don't know if anything will print those pre-perforated nametags. If the short sides have a single long perf they will get chewed up in the fuser. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Khan.Teessmaar
    Are there any color boxes out there that handle a greater input volume? I'd imagine a straight through paper path, when using the really heavy stuff, would be preferable to the bending that usually occurs in a small printer.

Service Manager 250+ Posts Hemlock's Avatar
    Weird to see this resurrected; we went with a HP2840 for the perfed paper printing and decided to run the 110lb on the Ricoh 900 rather than buying a separate device for photo printing. Thanks for all the responses!