Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Okidata MPS 711c wrinkling and crushing Envelpoes

Hello, I just sold an Okidata MPD 711C Printer to an account and it is wrinkling / crinkling envelopes big time. They only do them occasionally and this is the first time they have tried so the machine never printed them ok before either. It actually is crushing them as they go through the fuser because the rollers are so tight. You can see the impression of the back flap and back seams in the front of the envelope it is squeezing them so hard! At the very end the wrinkling shows up because it has compressed it so hard it stretches the paper a little and so there is excess paper with no where to go if that makes sense.

There is no adjustment that helps and Okidata does not have an answer. I have tried various paper weights in the driver and on the printer's panel and different envelopes with no improvement. I leave the back door open but there is no improvement over leaving it closed. There is no adjustment on the fuser. A Monochrome model we have does have a setting for the blue release lever to go in an up position for envelopes. I bet this is a clue they should have done that with this one. I can see the problem clearly - it is just compressing them so hard it's ridiculous! There is actually no paper type setting for envelopes, just bond, labels, heavy 1 2 or 3 and rough. I tried them all with no difference.

Has anyone actually opened up the fuser and adjusted the springs inside to lessen the pressure a little so this doesn't happen? Not sure that would really work though. Others must have had this problem, I can't be the only one. I am so sorry I sold this machine that can't print on envelopes!

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: Okidata MPS 711c wrinkling and crushing Envelpoes

If you can take a suggestion from a non-Okidata person, I have one that might help.
    Envelope feeding can be trying in a lot of situations. The machine is designed to process one single layer of paper efficiently, but with envelopes there are two to three independent layers of paper passing through the machine at the same time.
    The upshot of that is if the envelopes have even small defects (folded corners, uneven seams or creases, and so on) they will not work very well in any machine.
    So you might try getting a different type of envelope for that machine.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I Agree with Iowatech.

I recently bought a couple 40 packs from the dollar store, and they get really messed up going through my (Ricoh) machine, whereas I've had no problems with many name brands.

Just my 2 cents

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Thank you for the suggestions Iowatech and Sandmanmac. Our service department was told by Okidata that they would not escalate this until we tried Avery envelopes first. I spent about an hour trying to find them and it appears Avery does not make #10 envelopes anymore! So I am going to have to try a brand called Mark something and see if that works but I have strong doubts it will help. The compression is just too strong. The Okidata Dealer Sales Rep was in and effectively said I should have not sold the machine to anyone wanting to do envelopes! I have learned the hard way about this Okidata model and envelopes.