Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Good (inexpensive and reputable) sources of supplies for Designjet plotters

Looking in advance for good sources people out there are using or have used for supplies for Designjet (and other brand) plotters. I should have a working 42" Designjet 800PS soon and while I know of sources for resettable refillable ink cartridges and continuous ink supply units I need sources for roll products such as bond, vellum, acetate/mylar, tyvek banner material, colorfast adhesive vinyl, printable artist's canvas, etc. I'm still going to be in the repair business but expanding into desktop publishing, posters, banners, vinyl signs, etc. Sure many of you know of wholesalers if you buy for resale for your customers and maybe for your own needs. Of course these sources should be in North America, preferably US (and close to central KY if possible but I know this is unlikely).

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Good (inexpensive and reputable) sources of supplies for Designjet plotters

When you find those inexpensive supplies be sure to check the expiration dates. I've found that when you find unusually cheap prices it's because the cartidges are expired. The only thing that I could recommend to my customes is to check the dates immediately upon arrival, and return any that are expired right away.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Not to sound like a smart@$$, but you do, of course, realize that "good" and "inexpensive" are normally a contradiction of terms.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Technician
    Not looking for ink cartridges, I do my own refills and have refillable auto reset ones for the DSJ 800PS ready to be ordered. Mainly looking for supplies like papers. I service my own and other people's machines (as many of us do) and fully aware of shelf life dates and how many retailers (Walmart is really bad for it) stocking near end of life cartridges they can buy cheaper than other retailers that buy fresh.

Not looking for ultra cheap but more reasonable sources of quality supplies. I'm one of those people you see in the store putting things back because we are sick of seeing Made In China, Made In India, etc. I just went to WM for a paint roller - 2x the price I used to pay for them 4 yrs ago, half the quality but made in China. Amazing thing is we needed a few replacement box fans for the office, shop and our house (we hate AC) and actually found some made in the US and the maker is proud of them being made in the US. Same size and shape fan next to it made in China was $3.00 more and really a POS. Odd thing is WM is like a ghost town and the store that used to have 5 different brands of each thing looks empty and they doubled the width of the main isles and took the merchandise out of the isles - could it be that pushing all that Chinese crap has finally caught up with WM and people are buying elsewhere, or not at all? Only place I buy hand tools is Sears and only the US made Craftsman brand, and only when they have sales, such as the upcoming June sale for Father's Day. Bought a bandsaw the other day - found one used on Craigslist that is 10 yrs old made in the US Powermatic. Sears brand new for the same size is way less money but it's a POS Chinese saw.