Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

HP cp3525dn Not printing Cyan

Hi Guys,
    Ok I'm at a loss now with a HP cp3525dn colour laserjet printer,let me explain......
    Currently printer does not print cyan colour,before I purchased it apparently it only spat out blank pages.
    I'll give you a run-down on what I've done so far:-

Printer arrives via courier,unpacked and there's toner absolutly everywhere,including in the main drive assembly (MDA)
    So I don't even bother to turn it on,just start stripping it down and into a huge clean,including stripping apart the MDA
    and cleaning every gear and 'Home position Sensor' for the Yellow,Cyan and Black (Magenta does not have one
    and is gear linked to the yellow)

Everything cleaned and following HP's Service manual re-assemble the MDA.
    Follwing HP's service manual,if pages are blank replace lower HVT-D board,which was duly done.
    Printer all back together minus various covers and an Engine test print is performed-nada. Blank page.
    Oh forgot to mention NEW toners fitted (Not genuine Hp's though.)

Though the blank page was in fact my fault for a number of engine tests due to the fact I hadn't fitted the front door!
    Did'nt realise the door played an important function with the toner cassettes.

Well so now were cooking....Engine test now produces aan A4 print of coloured lines plus black...all except cyan?

NO fault codes,no messages at all (Had cleared them before) Fault codes now relate to half tones due to missing cyan.
    Printer is quite 'young' in print life with less than 20,000 done.However the front door hinges have been bent and the plastic guides
    have been broken at the bottom corners,though door still closes and locks-well it does print after all!

So here is what I've now done so far after the above........

Purchased a new scanner plus a used serviceable spare removed from a working machine,both fitted,engine test tried,no cyan.

Managed to aquire a working cp3525x,so now have 'parts' to swap around and try. And it was at this time during componet tests
    of both printers together realised the 'dn's alienation was all to pot. After removing the 'X' MDA and checking against each other
    found that not only do you have to align the cam gears but all all the black (For colours) And a white gear for black with some more chassis
    holes which HP do not mention.......nice.
    So after re-aligning the MDA fit it to the cp3525x printer and all is good.
    Fitted the working MDA (The removed from the 'X') TO the cp3525dn and print an Engine test-again no cyan.

So swap over in this order between each printer and try an Engine Test after each swap......cp3525dn on left the cp3525x on right.

ITB's No cyan Prints fine
    HVT-D (Lower PCA) No cyan. Prints fine
    HVT-T (Upper PCA) No cyan Prints fine
    DC Controller PCA No cyan Prints fine
    Formatter No cyan Prints fine
    NEW Inter connect PCA No cyan Prints fine
    Both scanner cables (Flat) No cyan Prints fine
    Power Supplies No cyan Prints fine
    Front cable assembly No cyan Prints fine

For fits and giggles decided to swap all scanners front to back....guess what? Yep no cyan and the cp3525x was fine,no issues at all.

Have already updated the firmware for both formatters and DC controller boards,made no difference.

Oh and I have also swapped the HVT-D boards about many a time,still no cyan but the cp3525x is still fine.

So I guess I'm having a Primary Charging bias issue just for the cyan toner though for the life of me I cannot figure out why?
    Especially when that board works fine in the other printer!? Have also tried and swapped the cyan toner(s) about as well Plus with other colours.
    If it's in the cyan slot theres no print.
    Have checked,removed,swapped over the scanner cleaning linkage,even left it off in case it was blocking the scanner laser.

Have checked the chassis whilst printing with a multi-meter to see if theres any stray voltages knocking about.....nothing.
    Checked continuity of the spring contacts for the cyan toner with the solder connections on the back of the HVT-D board,all good......
    And the grounding springs for the earth are all intact no broken locks and check out for continuity to the chassis.

Now as you can imagine doing all the above kinda takes some time......strip,assemble x2 each time.....getting a bit piqued as they say.......

So Guy's? Anyone have any idea's as to what might be wrong?

And if your thinking about the bent door hinges,have swapped over the doors as well,still no cyan and the other printer works fine.

I'm wondering if the chassis has been bent where the cyan toner sits and it's not perceptible?
    As far as I can tell the Pre exposure leds all work,even tried blocking them on the working printer does not affect it for an Engine test.
    Have also tried Colour Band tests,no cyan/blue.Other printer fine.

So.....over to anyone who may be able to help?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: HP cp3525dn Not printing Cyan

The Developing Disengagement Cam may be misalign, missing or broken. If the CP3525 is similar to LJ CP 4025/4525 this information might help, lead you closer or eliminate an area in solving this issue. Remove the cyan cartridge and look inside to the rear of the cavity, there should be a cam which disengage the developer unit. Compare the cam with a working cartridge slot and see how it is position. Also, when you load the cartridge into a working slot you will feel the cartridge spread apart a bit, this should give you a sign if the cam is there or out of alignment.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Printerdude View Post
    The Developing Disengagement Cam may be misalign, missing or broken. If the CP3525 is similar to LJ CP 4025/4525 this information might help, lead you closer or eliminate an area in solving this issue. Remove the cyan cartridge and look inside to the rear of the cavity, there should be a cam which disengage the developer unit. Compare the cam with a working cartridge slot and see how it is position. Also, when you load the cartridge into a working slot you will feel the cartridge spread apart a bit, this should give you a sign if the cam is there or out of alignment.
    Hi thanks for the reply and yes I've gone and checked that with the door off and when I load toners they do spread apart a wee bit. I have set the two printers side by side doors open and performed component test and they are the same. That's with toners fitted and out. It beats me how all the items I've swapped work on one machine and not the other? I'm fairly sure the primary charging isn't working though just for cyan and yet all the contacts touch and check for continuity. Go figure?!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

This might be relevant in some way...

cp3525 with 59.f0 error

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    This might be relevant in some way...

cp3525 with 59.f0 error
    Hi there,unfortunately I checked that out after seeing it as well.
    Though did take out the MDA again then the fuser drive assembly and the solenoid and gears are OK and aligned.
    Have just been straight in the door hinges (Front) There not a part I can get easy also need the two plastic pieces and the brown guides for them. Still there now straight and the door closes with the same gapping as the cp3525x printer.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I was wondering if the drum drive is actually making contact with the cartridge. Have you check if the drum itself is rotating. You pretty much replace everything except the frame assembly.

Technician

I was wondering if the drum drive is actually making contact with the cartridge. Have you check if the drum itself is rotating. You pretty much replace everything except the frame assembly.
    Hi Printer dude,yes the drum rotates checked with the door off doing component test. Tried to do a stop print test but you cannot get the ITB out. Though there was no cyan on the belt just yellow,magenta and black. Would love to see if an image is actually forming on the drum? But how? Everything is touching and as soon as you close the door it cleans the belt etc.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

How about turning off the machine in the middle of a print or open any door as doing a half print test manually? You did mention removing the scanner glass shield? How about blocking the ground to the cartridge and see if you get any cyan print?

Technician

How about turning off the machine in the middle of a print or open any door as doing a half print test manually? You did mention removing the scanner glass shield? How about blocking the ground to the cartridge and see if you get any cyan print?
    Hi dude,yes I'll give it a go though I the ground had to be there for it to all work? This will have to wait until Saturday cos I'm on nights at the mo. I'll let you know the results.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Um, I'd rather you consider this as plan "B" as I'm not sure how much this will help.
    Still, you might want to order a new cyan cartridge and see what happens.
    I have once seen three non OEM black cartridges for a CM6040 go bad at the same time. I beat my brains out over that, and I still wouldn't know what that problem was if it wasn't for another tech I'd asked for help hadn't figured it out.