Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Banding at HP T11xx

Hi Guys,

I have an HP T1100 on site. Whenever they print a certain files/s, banding happens when it reached the center of the paper. I have tried paper advance calibration, calibration of the printhead, cleaning encoder strip, shaft etc, Same thing happen, and banding happens on the exactly same location. If i print other files, it is printing well. If i print internal demo page, it is working fine as well. I tried to print the very same file in our shop machine, HP T1120 and exactly the same kind of banding happens. I cant totally tell that it is a file problem, because if i print the same file on another HP plotter like 4000ps and 1055CM, print is OK, no banding happening.

Have anyone experienced this?

Banding at HPT11xx.pdf

Technician

Re: Banding at HP T11xx

Look as starvation of gray or black color. Are you tray to print 2 copy of this at same time to see
    what happens. Are the same copy

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

No, im only trying to print 1 copy. I print on the machine at site HP T1100 and in our office, HP T1120, both have the same kind of banding, taking place at exactly the same location.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Banding at HP T11xx

I was going to say exactly what xerotec said; it's ink starvation.

Is the customer using genuine HP ink cartridges? Is your printer in the shop using them too?

Or you have air in the tube assembly. Which is easily caused by 3rd party inks, especially refillable ink cartridges.

You can try priming the tubes with something like this:

L607460 HP Designjet Ink Tube Air Bubble Removal Tool

Kiran

Technician

try a diffrent driver, thats usually the problem.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Hi Kiran,

When you guys said "ink starvation" do you mean that inks being supplied to the head has become less or none? If that it the case, shouldn't be the banding will start random and will become consistent until ink again has reached the head? And i printed different file/s on it, a full picture A1 size, no banding happened.

I print the same file for 3 copies, all bandings in the prints started in exactly the same location as i have previously attached.

The inks and printheads in the site and in our office are of the same source. I am in UAE and we are getting our supplies from US.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hewlett Slacker View Post
    try a diffrent driver, thats usually the problem.

let me have a try on that.

Banding at HP T11xx

If it's the driver, I'll eat my hat. But stranger things have happened.

And yes, I'm suggesting a printhead is running dry. And unless another image uses as much of that particular color as the one you're having a problem with, you may not see the problem occur.

And if you printed 3 copies, and did NOT get banding on the entire 2nd and 3rd copy, then I'm likely wrong about the starvation.

What happens if you flip the print 180 degrees and print it? Or print it turned 90 degrees, for that matter? I'm just curious.

What happens if you reduce it to half or quarter of the original size?

If I can get a response from HP I'll let you know what they say.

Kiran

Banding at HP T11xx

Another thing that came to mind.. though it would be a fluke if both printers had the same problem, would be to check the bongo pumps/lifters that push up into the ink cartridges. Make sure they are all free and move up and down when the printer is initialized.

Kiran

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

This may be off the wall, but a few months ago I had a Z series plotter that had an odd defect. Looked like it was "firing" one of the heads, causing it to "stamp" two lines of ink, sporadically in one area of each print. After trying everything basic, just before ordering a new carriage, customer informed me it started shortly after doing a firmware update. He was able to reload the previous level firmware and it stopped. Nobody who repairs plotters had heard of such a thing, but it worked. I went by today while I was in the building and it is still running fine. Firmware does some crazy things. just a thought, firmware is free.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking