Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts 1stcavvet's Avatar

hp designjet 1050c

This machine is saying to reseat the black printhead(reseat 8) I took the info off the printhead info menu, it said it's from 8/08. it's new to this customer. they bought it installed it and it's been saying reseat printhead since they first installed it. when you first put it in it beeps and says OK, when it starts asscessing it comes up and says reseat---Any ideas Thanks

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Re: hp designjet 1050c

What happens when they put the old one in?

Probably a bad printhead is all. But you might have a carriage problem? Flex cables maybe?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts 1stcavvet's Avatar

The customer started all this because the old one came up failed , if I put in the old one it might say reseat but usually says failed

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

On the one hand, you could be looking at a new carriage... and this is will probably fix you. But if they buy a new one, and it still says failed printhead, then it looks like they just wasted a bundle. So it would still be safest to get one more new printhead, OEM, not expired. Or just explain the possible causes and let them choose which direction to go first.

And don't forget how much of a pain those trailing cables are on this model. If you have to replace the cairriage, you might also have to replace the trailing cables.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    hp designjet 1050c

If it's an A model, try to avoid touching the trailing cable unless you have a brand new HP part on-hand, even then follow the directions for checking for a short in the cable BEFORE ever turning the power on or you'll blow the main PCA, and that will be the end to the printer.

If it's a B model, there's a fuse to protect the main PCA, at least.

You probably just have a new, bad black printhead. Make sure you clean the contacts in the carriage assembly with a damp lint-free cloth. Do NOT use alcohol. Water and a coffee filter work very well.

Also clean the drop detect sensor box. Use a damp paper towel and twist it up and shove it down in there a little and make sure it's all clear.

Also try removing all 4 heads and just insert the black first. Then the other colors, and observe the front panel. If for instance you put the black in, and then the yellow but it says the magenta is faulty, when it's not even inserted, you have a bad yellow printhead. They're addressed in a matrix so one that has a short can make the others appear to be bad.

If were up to me, given these units are going on 20 years old, if it needed a carriage and trailing cable, I would just put that cost towards a new printer. I'm all for fixing them and keeping them going, but it reaches a point where it doesn't make sense.

Kiran