Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

HP p4015 solid black pages

I've got a HP p4015 that do to an unfortunate firmware update, we had to replace formatter, while trying to recover printer, mistakingly re-wrote boot up in slot 0. The part number changed and now it reports as a p4515. That aside, I installed and setup new formatter. Ran internal test prints and print tests to it. Worked perfectly. Re-installed printer at location and had client print to it using multiple programs that they use. All great.
    3.5 hours later, they call said it's printing solid black pages. Ran config sheet and it does do just that. Mostly solid black pages. Brought back to shop for diagnostics. Now it's working good again, having done nothing to it. It did log this error:

68.92B2: From Formatter Backup EEPROM on DCC

Can't find a reference to it specifically. Could be new formatter flaking out, but need to know for sure. Now that it's printing clear, Engine test won't reveal anything.

Have anyone seen this before?

Thanks.

FYI: We're starting to see failing firmware updates from HP, via corporate IT offices in another state on the p4015 and 42xx (specifically 4350). The 4350 showed a RFU error and the p4015 show a "clearing paper path error" when extra trays are installed during FW upgrade.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

Re: HP p4015 solid black pages

I have had ×2 bad P3005 formatters start printing black. They were flaky too. Discounted/reconect conectors and they worked but it came back. Replaced the board and all was good. 68 is normal when upgrading FW. I bet you got sold a bad formatter. New or refurbished (really means they robbed it out of another machine.)
    Izzy

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: HP p4015 solid black pages

When upgrading an P4000 series printer, it is best to remove all optional accessory devices (any feeders beyond tray 2, duplexers, etc.). Resend firmware upgrade without the optional devices installed, when ready is display, then turn off printer and install optional device one at a time and turn on, if "clearing paper path" message goes away your okay with that device, if not then that device needs to be replaced.