Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Officejet Pro x476 margin issue

Have an OfficeJet Pro x476dn MFP that, when using narrow margins in Word (tried 2010 & 2013) cuts off the left hand side of print. When using normal margins, this doesn't happen.

The printer has the latest firmware installed (1502BR). I loaded the latest PCL 6 driver available on the HP website. Connecting via USB. Tried setting the "Print document on".....Letter.....Scale to fit option within the Printer Preferences.

Is there a margin limitation with this printer?

Thank You
    Lance Gentle20151001_142608.jpg

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: Officejet Pro x476 margin issue

Does the software you are printing from have a "print preview" feature? Try looking at your document there and see how it looks. If it looks OK try printing from the print preview screen and see what happens.
    The reason I say this is because the gray scale parts of the document in your photo appear to be printed correctly while the line art (words, outlines and logo) are not. That would suggest that those elements are on two different layers that have not been combined correctly in the document as far as the software is concerned. Sometimes the print preview feature will even take care of that problem.

Thanks for the response Iowatech. Yes, I did the File --> Print option which shows a preview before hitting print. It looked fine there. I printed this same document fine on my LaserJet P2055. No cutting off.

The other test I performed was to create a new document using both Normal & Narrow margins. I typed "This is a printer test" and copied it down the page a few times. The Normal margins (1" all the way around) was fine. The Narrow margins (.5" all the way around) cut off the "This is a" and only showed "printer test".

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

This probably has something to do with image boxes in Word. I'm not sure what, but look at the properties of the specific image boxes as opposed to the properties of the document itself.

Someone on the HP Forums suggested using PCL Paraphernalia?

PCL Paraphernalia

I played around with this on my P2055. Not sure yet how this is real helpful, but, I plan on using it on this trouble Officejet and see what happens.

Believe I figured it out.

After printing out an internal network config page and noticing it's happening on internal pages, I tried doing a level 1 and 2 cleaning of the printbar. No luck. A section of the partbar in the black area is to clogged and will not clean. They have been using 3rd party black ink and I told them back in May what would happen if they continued to use 3rd party ink and an approximate cost.

They ignored me. Now, the printer is a boat anchor.

Thank you everyone for ideas.

Lance