Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

What would you choose ....?

Hello guys. I need some advice. What would you choose between a hp pro 400 m425dn and a brother 8510/8520? I am quite a fan of the brother brand, but some say that between those, they would choose the hp. What are your thoughts about it?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Re: What would you choose ....?

You'll find some inherent fuser problems with those Brothers. If it's a business setting, I would stay away from them.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Go for hp, like above , fusers are a problem on Brothers. I have a client with 8 HL-5440 and 6 of them have fusers changed within 30k-45k. These particular fusers are built with fuser film sleeve and heated with a lamp like those with heat rollers !?
    Defects are simple, our mind is complicated

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

I would stay with HP.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bob marley's Avatar

I'll choose Hp
    Live for yourself and you will live in vain. Live for others, and you will live again

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thanks alot guys. Brother uses heat rollers for fuser and on these models, i have seen worn fusers at about 70-80k prints. But the hp has supperior memory and the only consumable is the cartridge. So they say. And it's a lot smaller and less noisier than brother.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzoo View Post
    I have a client with 8 HL-5440 and 6 of them have fusers changed within 30k-45k. These particular fusers are built with fuser film sleeve and heated with a lamp like those with heat rollers !?
    Well this was not a question, i made a spelling mistake...they are like I said

Good choice on hp though
    Defects are simple, our mind is complicated

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Anyway, i went friday to a client with a hp pro400. It had paper jammed in the adf and the user pulled it out. Now it gives all kind of errors like: the scanner couldn;t calibrate, adf door open and other stuff like that. You have acces to nothing in the adf. And i heard these models have sensors wich are particularily very sensitive. Maybe you are right about the 8510,8520. What about those brother mfc's wich are built in the hl 5250 or 5340. I changed the heat roller on those at about 100k.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by savi0r View Post
    Anyway, i went friday to a client with a hp pro400. It had paper jammed in the adf and the user pulled it out. Now it gives all kind of errors like: the scanner couldn;t calibrate, adf door open and other stuff like that. You have acces to nothing in the adf. And i heard these models have sensors wich are particularily very sensitive. Maybe you are right about the 8510,8520. What about those brother mfc's wich are built in the hl 5250 or 5340. I changed the heat roller on those at about 100k.

HP has made some really nice machines, but also some terrible one. who remembers the 4100 mfp, a nightmare machine with calls every week or so for scanner, fax and nic issues. also the hp 9000. these machines is a love-hate machine. when they are running good the are really nice, but when trouble is calling, you could be there hours especially if there is a finisher hooked up.
    choosing these small mfp's, i would be looking at the cost for parts and toner really, and the features you want.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

The truth is, both of these are crap machines--almost throw away units. I say HP because a client of mine bought a bunch of Brothers instead of HPs, and almost half of them were putting creases in the paper from the fuser--this is right out of the box. It happened mainly when the customers were running more than 10 prints at a time. They made the switch to HP. That was about a year ago. Finally, last week, I had my first call that actually required parts. The HP unit needs a new fuser & ADF unit, after 180,000 prints.