Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

HP 1320 need second opinion.

This machine has a solid black line on the left side edge of the page, perfectly straight, from lead to trail. The cartridge is OEM and has been swapped. I can find nothing broken or damaged in the machine. My gut tells me is is the power supply. Has anyone else seen this?
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: HP 1320 need second opinion.

Have you tried to clean the laser window. Generic toners and usage can cause toner dust to accumalate on the laser window. Laser has a shutter that when cart is installed and door is closed it will open the shutter. You have to either disassemble the machine to get to laser or trip the shutter. Light rag non abrasive with a small flat head screwdriver, but DO NOT scratch the window. Just a swipe or two should tell you if toner is present. Hope that helps

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Sounds like some foreign object in the laser section. I would check that.

Technician

Usualy that sund like a laser unit for me too, that of course if you have checked the fixing film

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Can you post a pic? Sounds more like a lack of charge on yhe drum. Can you see any issues with the charge roll in yhe cartridge?

Thanks for responding. It is not in the cartridge, as they had the issue before they changed it and are using OEM cartridges. As far as it being in the print head, wouldn't it cause a void. I had a Ricoh today with a void and the solution was to clean the lens area. The line is on the very edge of the paper, about 2mm wide and perfectly straight and even, from lead to trail. Apparently the HV and LV power supplies are combined into one. if they approve the est, I will go with power supply. I will update to let you know how it works out.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Thanks for responding. It is not in the cartridge, as they had the issue before they changed it and are using OEM cartridges...
    I dug through the blackcat database and 90% of the entries for print quality shading/lines/marks are for defective refill cartridges. From overfilled developing cavity, to scratched drums, to leaking developer or cleaning seals, to cracked frames, to defective charge rollers.

... As far as it being in the print head, wouldn't it cause a void? I had a Ricoh today with a void and the solution was to clean the lens area...
    True dat. As you know, the laser writes black, so where there's an obstruction there is no black. The only way it could be a laser is if the laser diode stayed on all the time, and I've never seen that.

... The line is on the very edge of the paper, about 2mm wide and perfectly straight and even, from lead to trail. Apparently the HV and LV power supplies are combined into one. if they approve the est, I will go with power supply. I will update to let you know how it works out.
    It's certainly possible that you have a bad HVT, but it would have to be evenly across the whole page. More likely, I would think it's a bad transfer roller. I've had a couple transfer rollers that would clean up OK for a few days, but it would come back with a heavy line on both edges of the page. The roller itself did not appear to be damaged.

The other image quality fault was damaged fuser films, but I think you could identify that pretty quickly. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

For what it is worth, I don't think the laser has anything to do with this. As you probably already know, lack of laser equals lack of image, so unless the laser is being overdriven a lot for some reason the laser is very unlikely to be the problem.
    I'd be more inclined to check the contacts for the charge roller or the condition of the fuser first.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Sounds like some foreign object in the laser section. I would check that.
    Sometimes a guy just ain't thinkin.

I stopped it while printing. The line is being written on the drum. My first thought was cartridge, until I saw OEM and they said they changed it. I called LPT and they said that sometimes the cartridge guides break on the right side, so I checked it. This is military. That means the customer will not get the printer replaced, he will lose it if it is not fixed. This means he is all in, despite the cost. I explained that if we buy a power supply and it is not the fix, no refunds. My gut feeling is 80% power supply. I was hoping someone else had changed one for a similar issue. I think I will check the company junk pile. I may get lucky and have one.