Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hp LJ5 Si MX

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts tcypy1961's Avatar

hp LJ5 Si MX

customer has purchased 4 printer cartridges and all 4 are not working; it appears the drum cleaning blade is not engaging with the drum; if this is the case is there anything other than removing strip to release toner that needs to be performed??? The cartridges do have the hp label on them yet I'm thinking these are refilled/refurbed cartridges. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    hp LJ5 Si MX

Re: hp LJ5 Si MX

The only thing the user has to do on the cartridge is pull the tape off. While we have seen a user pull the tape where it breaks this usually results in light or no image on the page as toner is not getting to the drum. You say that it appears that the drum blade is not making contact, what do the prints look like? Even with reman cartridges four in a row is highly unlikely. I would suspect the transfer roller is either very dirty or defective, that would be where I would start.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    hp LJ5 Si MX

The drum cleaning blade should be in contact with the drum at all times. There is no mechanism to back off the blade. So if the drum isn't cleaning it's a problem with the cartridge. If it were me I would bring out an OEM cartridge (if they still can be got). If it works, you're done. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Really, you have not describe a problem, but gave an opinion of what you think is happening with the cartridge. It would be that you give a description of what is actually happens when the print image. I think most will have an imagination of what the print looks like with the cleaning blade not touching the drum, but as the other mentioned, that is unlikely with all four cartridges. what does the output image looks like ?. imagine there is no heaven.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    hp LJ5 Si MX

HP LJ5 SI.jpg

I'll agree that you would get better information from us if you gave us a chance at the diagnostics. Include a quality sample.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    HP LJ5 SI.jpg

I'll agree that you would get better information from us if you gave us a chance at the diagnostics. Include a quality sample.
    =^..^=
    The print cannot be seen due to haze all over paper which is also seen all over drum....

The image of the print(Menu Map) can't be seen due to haze all over paper which is seen on the drum; manual rotation of the drum will not clean drum off; if I sent sample I'm not sure it would do anymore than what has been described(drum not being cleaned)
    Thanks!!!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tcypy1961 View Post
    The image of the print(Menu Map) can't be seen due to haze all over paper which is seen on the drum; manual rotation of the drum will not clean drum off; if I sent sample I'm not sure it would do anymore than what has been described(drum not being cleaned)
    Thanks!!!
    Usually, if i get something like this, i would disassemble the cartridge and see to see what's happening in there. But four cartridges doing the same, something not right there. take the old cartride that was working and comapre it with the new ones you got and see that it matches the gears ect. Thinking if those cartridges is for another model like the 9050 or so. just a thought.
    rotate the drum in the opposite direction for a quarter turn or so and see how the drum looks. if the same image, then the cleaning blade may be missing altogether.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

It is an old printer. They had those toners collecting dust and shipped them to you and said Sucker!~ After so many years they might not work so good.
    Izzy

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    hp LJ5 Si MX

Is the laser slit glass clean? If memory serves me correctly, the 5si is a write white machine [somebody correct me if I am wrong] meaning that the laser beam removes the charge on the drum where there should be no toner. So if the slit glass is dirty it will block the laser beam from erasing the charge on the drum resulting in dark background on the page.