Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    CM4540 thick lines on ITB

Im not sure if many of you guys are familiar with the CM4540 MFP but i have a problem which i seem to get with a few of them i have.

When the ITB has printed around 50,000 - 60,000 (sometimes more, sometimes less) the belt seems to fail and produce a thick line down the ITB. When i remove the area where the blade is located, empty the waste toner and clean it out it seems to work fine for a few 100 pages then the line reappears down every print again. I have purchased a few blades for this ITB but they all fail after a few 100 pages again,

My question is: Has anyone come across this before and found a fix? (without paying a high fee of £300-£400 for a part that isnt reaching its life cycle)

Hope someone can help with this.

Many Thanks

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

Re: CM4540 thick lines on ITB

What color is the Line? I have had a Bad Cartridges do that (Damn Refurbs), never had an ITB go out yet except at replacement time. Just my experience.
    Izzy

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

All toners are oem and changed to see as well. I have a few of these....not all are failing. When a new one is installed it will work fine but i have had a lot fail early as well. Im just wondering why they cant be cleaned out, blades changed and run again. I remember the older 4730 ITBs never had this problem, they would run forever. It seems as if HP have designed their CP range itbs to fail

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I've tried cleaning the waste toner area on the CM4530 ETB cleaner and merely made a mess without fixing anything. I think it's more of an issue with the spring tension of the cleaning blade and wear on the belt rather than the blade itself. Especially if the streak is that stupid purplish tan color which indicates average color machine waste toner.
    I'd be kind of interested in a fix for this too, as it would be nice to fix that problem in one go rather than wait for the parts to come in. But I'm not holding my breath.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Have run across this issue on a good many of the newer CP models. I've been able to blow out any hardened toner from the cleaning end successfully a couple of times, but, not all the time.

I agree, I think HP set these things up to fail. The older color's didn't have this problem. These things aren't cheap either! Most times, our customers would rather replace the printer instead of spending upwards of $500.

I've never torn one apart as I'm not into getting spent toner everywhere. Probably never will either.

This is also a problem on the newer Xerox color's. Specifically the Phaser 6600's. These are also the printers Dell uses as their C2660 and C3760.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

bumping the post to see if anyone else has found a resolution to this. I am determined to get find a fix without paying HPs extortionate price on a made to fail part. Anyone with any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone know if the wiper blade can be purchased for this as new as a part instead of purchasing the entire belt?