Technician

Laserjet M806 Noise

Does anyone have a M806? I've a small problem with ours and wanted to hear from other owners if possible.

Basically on startup it makes a clunking noise twice from the fuser area and sometimes displays a jam message. After multiple emails and sending a couple of vids of the problem HP sent an engineer who diagnosed a faulty fuser drive assembly. New one was fitted by a different engineer but didn't solve the problem. Both engineers agreed the noise was not normal. HP called me back today to say that the L3 engineers had said the noise is normal. I queried the Jam message and now they want a photo of it - but it's not doing it at the moment. Machine has always made he noise, printing is not affected and a new fuser was fitted this week.

So, does anyone have one and if so does it make a clunking noise?

Thanks

Michael

Re: Laserjet M806 Noise

I would like to know the answer as well. I was called out today to work on an M806 with frequent jams (13.B9.A2) at the fuser. This is the first one I've had to work on and I noticed the same noise you described each time I closed the left door after clearing a jam.

The printer only has a little over 50,000 pages printed so I'm a little concerned about it just being a bad fuser.

Can anyone fill us in?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

I'm not standing at one, but I imagine the noise is the machine setting and releasing the fuser pressure. Most of the newer machines turn a gear which will release pressure between the hot roller and pressure roller when you get a jam, so that you can get the jammed paper out. They also usually do it when you turn the power off so the pressure roller doesn't get a flat spot.

Technician

Been away hence the late reply. We had 3 different engineers out and the first two said it definitely wasn't right. A new fuser made no difference (but we'd already bought one after the first one failed late on in it's life). The third engineer decided that it was designed like it. I doubt that's the case - no other machine we've had has ever made such a loud noise and there's way too much movement internally when it turns. If it's deliberate it's very poor design.

It very much looks like it's bending out of position and it jumps a tooth or two on the gear. However the HP support people sent me a video of their machine in-house making exactly the same noise so in the end there was nothing I could do but accept it. Machine is running fine at the moment.