Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Designjet Z6100ps 42-in

Designjet Z6100ps 42-in

User called saying their plotter is having a printhead rejection issue. The plotter continuously rejects the second Photo Black/Grey (head 6?). The panel displays "Printhead Replacement Incomplete Restart It". I followed the document I found on CSN about this error. Initiate printhead replacement, turn power off, remove all the heads, turn back on, reinstall heads when asked. Rejection continues. I also tried swapping the 1st & 2nd heads. Cleaned all head contacts. Reseated the 5th & 6th flex cables on the carriage PCA. Issue stays with the slot. That document suggests the tubes may have to be replaced. Really?? I've ordered the Carriage Flex Cables and Carriage PCA. Can anyone chime in on this issue and if these parts will remedy the issue?

Thanks everyone
    Lance

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Re: Designjet Z6100ps 42-in

All I can suggest is inspect the back of the tube system and look for a drip. I will be doing tubes for a 6200 next week that started as a broken bag error. The big thing to look for would be air in the ink tubes or ink in the air tubes.
    Last edited by fixthecopier; 06-02-2016 at 02:40 AM.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Greetings from VA. There is quite a few firmware updates that addresses this same issue, I believe they started in 2009. I had one just recently that had issues with the printheads being expired, updated to the 10.0.0 firmware and it came up with message that the printheads were failing. Once taken out and let the machine instruct order to be put back in, to no avail the PhotoBlack PB had issues. Upgraded the firmware to the 11 version and it cleared up the errors.

Hope this helps

Designjet Z6100ps 42-in

Thanks for the suggestions. Forgot to mention, the user had already upgraded the firmware to the latest revision. Will post back once resolved as to what cleared this up.

Thanks!

Designjet Z6100ps 42-in

I'd be surprised if it's the tube assembly, but stranger things have happened.

I would suspect a bad printhead, and not necessarily the one the printer is rejecting. I would swap all of the printheads with their partner and see if anything changes. If the printheads are old I would replace them before I started replacing parts.. though it's relatively easy to replace the carriage PCA.

Be sure to clean the drop detect sensor as well.

Kiran

Designjet Z6100ps 42-in

Carriage PCA solved the rejection issue.

Noticed on the panel the magenta ink cartridge was expired. Of course, in the course of fully testing/calibrating, it decided to want it replaced. Dead in the water. Contact not in. Didn't see the carts sitting out.

Will need to follow-up tomorrow with a phone call.

Thanks for the suggestions!!