Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Updating to Win 10

Updating to Win 10

Ethical question, customer arrives at office, cannot print to any of the printers/copiers, because their IT company has updated them to Win 10, without them asking to do it, they have to call said IT company to reconnect all their printers, FOR A FEE!, happened to a couple of my customers, in last couple of days. Same company. Thoughts appreciated.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Re: Updating to Win 10

I can say what my shop would do

They would not do the upgrade, my IT people hate 10

If a customer called and said they could not print after our IT people did something, they would send the guys back for free.

Sounds like a scam to me.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Updating to Win 10

Quote Originally Posted by tech28 View Post
    Ethical question, customer arrives at office, cannot print to any of the printers/copiers, because their IT company has updated them to Win 10, without them asking to do it, they have to call said IT company to reconnect all their printers, FOR A FEE!, happened to a couple of my customers, in last couple of days. Same company. Thoughts appreciated.
    Just to confirm....
    Are you sure their IT company was responsible for intentionally applying the upgrade?
    MS has gotten really sneaky, and unethical, in my opinion, about how the Win10 upgrade is applied now. It was added to the 'Recommended updates', so any PC that has updates 'on', and "automatiacally install", is being upgraded whether they like it or not. I've had several calls about unexpected/ unwanted upgrades in the last few weeks.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Good point....
    Education usually comes at a price, either financial or otherwise.

In a court of law case the prosecution as to prove "intent" before justice can be administered in a proper perspective.

Knowing the "intent" of action: --was Microsoft negligent or was the IT/Operator owner of the PC careless ?

If their IT or the PC owner had the desired "intent" to upgrade to Win10, then the onus is on their own actions. I feel the Company/PC owner should pay someone to correct their actions however careless or otherwise.

It would be up to the Company/PC Owner to seek financial compensation for the IT repairs from Microsoft if the "intent" of Microsoft is to usurp a market share.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••