Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP 4250 prints across 2 pages/ jams

Re: HP 4250 prints across 2 pages/ jams

cut some electrical tape in the a thin strip and wrap around 4x

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Ok so you have a few things going on here. The jamming and double feed is indeed the pick up clutch. Depends on the meter you can actually just put some black electrical tape around the area where the pad is supposed to be. Now that is for both trays. Tray 2 is so much easier but Tray 3 is a bear to get off. Requires you to remove the machine from Tray 3 - slide lever to unlock on left side near handle cutout - pull up and machine is now separated. Being your a Canon Tech I will go into a little detail as you not familiar with this one. Remove paper tray. NOTE: Remember where your screws go. Looking at the tray now from the top side there is a silver plate to the rear right - remove it so you can remove the side cover. Now both of them are removed, its time for the tricky part. The pick up clutch is located in the front right side. There is a few parts in there that will give you some grief and require a few cuss words but it will come out. Remove the 3 or 4 screws around the assembly. Inside the paper tray on the right towards the front there is a gear, pull out a little as the shaft goes into the assembly your trying to remove, You can remove but remember where that gear on the shaft in the pick assembly goes. Disconnect all your connectors to the assembly. Now you have to wiggle it out as there is a metal plate that wont allow you to lean it back and pull it out normally. Just a little wiggling and it will come out. Once out remove the Pick Up clutch and clean off the top where that little felt pad goes. Once clean, take some scotch tape and tape around the top (dont worry about the excess just yet keep reading) and wrap around a few times (I do 4 wraps). Now cut off the excess with scissors or blade leaving only where the felt used to be. Put everything back together without the side cover to check the operation and correct placement of the clutch.
    If you do not put some type of non conductive material on there the clutch will magnetize the entire clutch and you will get multiple multiple feeds.

NOW THE grinding noise, you mentioned the Swing Plate. Being a tech you will have no issues with this one. Pull out the fuser and check the plastic gear on the upper left side of where the fuser gear assembly is. Big Brown or Black (if it had been replaced before) should be covered in dust and gear will have rounded teeth instead of pointed. If you have to replace. No sweat it will be easy. Here it is in a nutshell. Remove drum, fuser, duplex unit. Remove plastic cover on the top cover to the rear. This piece is removed when a finisher option is installed. Just give it a tug upwards. This will expose 2 of the 4 screws to be removed for the top cover. With a flat head screwdriver, release the plastic lever attached to toner cover, let it fall thru slot. On the right side under the control panel, disconnect the 2 connectors and remove the top cover. Remove left and right covers (dont have to remove right cover but it is easier to work without it flopping around). Remove the Silver Box on Left (assuming you are working from the rear of the machine at this point) by sliding towards the rear of the machine. Good firm tug, no screws involved. Now you can see the back side of the Swing Plate Assembly. Grab a paper clip and straighten it out. Use this when you remove the Swing Plate Assembly to hold/align the gear. No go in reverse to put the machine back. General note when reinstalling the top cover to reconnect the display connectors back into the board, also pull the plastic piece back thru slot and snap back into the Toner Cover.

Its a bit long and I do not apologize as this will hopefully help someone out. I have a lot of these machines in the field and the new ones on the market DO NOT last as long. With this repair I have seen personally and currently have in the field now 4250/4350s with over 1 mil on the meter (yes the meter rolls at 999,999 back to 0)

Hope this helps

Senior Tech 100+ Posts TheBlueOrleans's Avatar

Not responding to the full stated problem because I am not that learned as yet, but judging from your Event Log I will say you should consider replacing the fusing unit. That many fuser errors within that amount of pages is always a red flag for me.
    Tray 1 paper stopped error could also be something stuck in the path partially, or leftover adhesive from a label page jam gummed up the path behind tray 1. Had that happen at 0200 once.

As for the solenoids, I would highly recommend taking the offered advice for cleaning the foam pad/sticky nightmare off the solenoid arm and covering it with something, either a new pad or a label or some electrical tape. If cost is not an issue and you want to know for sure it's a new part and eliminate the solenoid altogether from the list of possible causes, by all means replace it. Your call.
    Somewhere there is a tree working hard to produce oxygen for you to live, NOW GO APOLOGIZE TO IT!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts ReproKev's Avatar

Thanks for all the advice. I replaced the solenoid a in trays 2 and 3 and it's been running great. There is a little rumbling noise still so I'm planning on replacing the swing plate in the near future.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    Printer Repair Articles for the LaserJet 4200, 4300 these folks sell the gear and spacer so you don't have to pull the whole swing plate out... check the link for the "shorter repair" their P/N RM!-0043-GRB
    it's like $9.00 1-866-947-9295
    Lazy Lazy Lazy

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts JLSam's Avatar

Printer Repair Articles for the LaserJet 4200, 4300 these folks sell the gear and spacer so you don't have to pull the whole swing plate out... check the link for the "shorter repair" their P/N RM!-0043-GRB
    it's like $9.00 1-866-947-9295
    But... the swing plate is easy already...

Just some covers, some screws... a couple of cables... unhook fan cable... the powersupply and then VIOLA! The Swing Plate. 40 min job max.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts ReproKev's Avatar

I found a youtube video on it. It looks involved but not difficult. I'll just replace the whole swing plate and be done with it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

The white gear behind the brown one wears too... but at a different rate. So if you replace just the brown one, and the white one is a little worn, the sharpened white teeth will wear out the brown gear faster. Job security, I guess, but I still say do it right and replace the whole swing plate assembly.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts JLSam's Avatar

for the fix i posted.. you have to remove: right cover... formatter cage ( 2 screw ) the one black screw to remove pin... slide out gear and spacer.. reverse process.. I can get in done in 10 mins.. otherwise you have to remove ALL covers...boards...plates.. will take you about 45m-1hr.. but if you want to do it the hard way go right ahead.

Work smart not HARD!
    Okay. I'll agree with you, and it is time efficient if you do it in 10 mins. BUT still, the white gear wears out too! And, to be honest, I quite enjoy replacing swing plates.

To each ones own I guess.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP 4250 prints across 2 pages/ jams

Half an hour. 20-25 if I'm rushed for time. Not so much to ask to do the job right the first time.