Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: hp P4015

Senior Tech 100+ Posts 1stcavvet's Avatar

hp P4015

When this machine jams it's the same way every time, the paper stops when entering the fuser, it can print all day no problem when the machine sits without printing the next job even if it's only 1 page will stop with leading edge tucked in the rollers, you pull the fuser and the paper can be plucked out of the fuser without the rollers even turning. The fuser never clamped shut before the paper feed to it. The tension is still relaxed on the fuser rollers. I tried a new fuser(from a working machine)---same thing. Does anyone know? if I take the cam follower off or take the cams that relax the pressure off the fuser does the machine see this as an error, when it trys to relax and the sensor and never sees the flag accuate. If you know or know something else that may fix this issue please advise THANKS

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Re: hp P4015

As far as I know, the machine is supposed to release pressure after a jam, making easier for the customer to remove. I could be wrong about this though.

If those are refurbed fusers, I would still think that's the problem. What you might do is take the fuser apart (if you're that ambitious), carefully clean the heating element, regrease with fresh grease, and put it back together. Either that or get an OEM fuser.

If I remember right, there was a firmware upgrade that had something to do with the fusers going bad prematurely.

If you run the firmware upgrade, remember to take off all the attachments (duplex, extra trays, etc.,) before hand. Then add them one at a time, while cycling the power for each one.

Oh--and if the machine is grinding at all, you might try the swingplate. Kind of a pain on this machine. I did have one that was kinda, sorta causing the problem you're describing.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    hp P4015

Oh--and if the machine is grinding at all, you might try the swingplate. Kind of a pain on this machine. I did have one that was kinda, sorta causing the problem you're describing.
    According to HP:

HP LaserJet P4014, P4015 and P4515 Printer Series - Grinding from the fuser or back of the printer

ISSUE: There have been few cases of a grinding noise in the fuser area or back of the printer. This is typically occurring in new printers or recently installed printers (within a month or two of being in use). This symptom is similar to the swing plate grinding on the LJ 4250/4350, but this is NOT a swing plate issue as the P4010/4510 printers do not have a swing plate.

This grinding noise is heard when printing and sometime when testing the fuser motor in the component test.

SOLUTION: This is not a gear issue, but caused by an improperly seated fuser motor. Reseating the fuser motor has resolved the issue in printers returned to HP. No parts are needed to resolve this issue. If a part must be sent then the fuser motor is the only part needed, but again reseating the fuser motor not replacing it has resolved the issue.

CAUSE: This is not a top issue and has only been seen on a few engines. Parts are not needed to resolve this as the issue is an improperly installed fuser motor. Reseating the motor does resolve the issue if the motor is reseated properly.

HP has not released the fuser gear drive assembly as a FRU part. Any of these found are compatible assemblies and not genuine.

I've followed HP's document above and reseating the fuser motor didn't fix the problem. I've replaced the motor and it didn't fix the problem. I replaced the big brown gear on the fuser gear drive assembly and because it was a compatible part, it didn't last long and ground away quickly. I've been able to decrease the grinding noise by putting some grease in the middle section of the exit assembly (where the exit roller is supported - noticeable by the white plastic ring). Replacing the exit assembly has also quieted the noise and in some cases, resolved the noise. The only other part that I haven't tried replacing yet is the paper delivery drive assembly.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

You didn't try the swingplate assembly.

It's not called a swingplate assembly on these, because the plate doesn't actually swing, as it does on the 42xx/43xx. But it's just about the same thing. I guess you would call it the fuser drive gear assembly. You use almost the same procedure as you would on the 4200, with a few more steps. Also, it doesn't wear as quickly. I've only done it twice. Once on a P4015 and once on an M600. Both machines had more than 1 1/2 million prints. Both times it fixed my problem.