Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Designjet T1120 rejecting ink

I have a designjet T1120 that says the gray ink cartridge is faulty. Replaced with a new OEM ink (also made sure all ink ctgs were OEM), it says the cartridge is empty. Replaced the ISS. Ran the new ISS through diagnostics, everything checks out fine. Installed the new OEM gray, still says empty. Ran the supply check in the diagnostics menu, the ink ctg shows fine, according to this:

erics phone 030.JPG

Not sure where to go from here.

Any ideas?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Designjet T1120 rejecting ink

I'd power off the printer, remove ALL ink cartridges, then power it back up.. wait. Then insert only the grey ink. Does it show up as empty when it's the only cartridge installed?

Can you view the ink cartridge information from the ink menu? What does that say about the cartridge? Specifically what's the expiration date?

Is the rubber bulb in the bottom of the cartridge collapsed?

Can you try the grey ink cartridge in another printer to verify it's not defective?

And I agree, that's odd that the IDS test shows the cartridge as full. I'll try to find out how that can be.

Kiran

Found on CSN from October 30, 2013:

Title: HP Designjet T/Z Printer Series - Cartridge Rejection
    Object Name: mmr_kc-0106096
    Document Type: Support Information
    Original owner: KCS - HP DesignJets
    Disclosure level: Public
    Version state: final

Environment
    FACT: Designjet T610
    FACT: Designjet T620
    FACT: Designjet T1100
    FACT: Designjet T1120
    FACT: Designjet T770
    FACT: Designjet T1200
    FACT: Designjet T790
    FACT: Designjet T1300
    FACT: Designjet T2300
    FACT: Designjet Z2100
    FACT: Designjet Z3100
    FACT: Designjet Z3200
    FACT: Designjet Z5200
    FACT: Designjet 5400

Questions/Symptoms
    SYMPTOM: Reset cartridge
    SYMPTOM: Replace cartridge
    SYMPTOM: Cartridge rejection

Cause
    CAUSE: Unknown at this moment

Answer/Solution
    FIX:

Introduction:

Following this document is important when the printer displays continuous reseat or replace ink cartridge messages or when it basically rejects a cartridge or shows issues detecting a cartridge (in some cases even after re-installing it and/or replacing it).

This document is valid for: HP Designjet T610/T620/T1100/T1120/T1200/T770/T2300/T790/T1300/Z2100/Z3100/Z3200/Z5200.

Follow the steps listed below to accurately troubleshoot the issue:

1. Make sure that the cartridges are In-Warranty HP original cartridges.

NOTE: If there is any cartridge rejection or failure/damage of the Ink System caused by non-HP ink, HP will not be responsible for the costs of the repair. Also, if the cartridges are expired, refilled, remanufactured, refurbished or misused, HP will not be responsible for the replacement.

2. Make sure that the cartridges are properly inserted (correct slots and correct orientation).
    3. Make sure that the contacts (chip) on the cartridges are clean.

NOTE: To clean the chip, use a lint-free cloth. Check if the rejection persists. If not, check functionality.

4. Make sure that there is no leakage coming from the cartridge (valve at the bottom).

NOTE: If there is any leakage, clean it. Also, clean the Ink Supply Station.
    ISS - area where the cartridges are placed. If the leakage is persistent (cartridge is in warranty as explained in step 1), HP will replace the cartridge.

5. If the rejection persists (steps 1-4), turn Off the printer and unplug the power cord.
    6. Remove all the cartridges (even if only one cartridge is rejected).
    7. Restart the printer with no ink cartridges.
    8. Put all the cartridges back in when prompted to do so.
    9. If the rejection persists, attempt to verify functionality.
    10. If the rejection persists, replace the cartridge (this will discard an issue with the ISS).
    11. If the rejection persists, contact HP representative or call HP Technical Support.

NOTE: For the T Series ONLY, if the expiration date on the front panel (or EWS) is 12/31/1969 or 01/01/1970 but the one on the cartridge itself is ok, update the firmware to the latest version (if not updated) and try the previous steps again. If the issue persists contact HP Technical Support.

© Copyright 2013 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.

Yeah, I tried only the gray, and the gray is still "empty."

I did all the stuff suggested in that post. I also tried to update firmware, but since the ctg is bad, I can't get to ready state.

I've told the customer that they might just have had bad luck and gotten two defective ctgs... 1 compatible and 1 OEM. So they're ordering another one and I'll give them a call on Friday to see what happens.

Customer ordered yet another gray ink cartridge, and it works perfectly now.

Thanks everyone for the time.

Good.

Always, always.. rule out the consumables completely before replacing parts. This will bite you in the tail every time it can.

I had a Z3200 that kept rejecting the red/matt-black print head. Customer tried 3 different print heads before I started down the path of replacing the flex cables, the carriage PCA, the trailing cable.. meanwhile I was going back and forth with HP about the issue. Something none of us realized; did we have the correct red/matt-black print head?? Because there's 2 of them.. one for the Z3100, and one for the Z3200. The customer had purchased the wrong print head all along.

The head for the Z3200 is keyed differently, and does not insert easily but the customer 'made it fit', thus breaking the tabs on the head that kept it from being inserted.. of course I had no idea once I got there.. so carried on my merry way.. even swapping the head with the others the customer had tried. And the printer would go through over 15 minutes of 'preparing ink system', only to eventually tell you to replace the red/mk head. I wish HP had made it a little smarter to reject it immediately because of the wrong part number.

Kiran

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    I wish HP had made it a little smarter to reject it immediately because of the wrong part number.

Kiran
    You and me both. Everything you do on these machines takes so much time while you just stand there and watch the machine 'think.'

Just an update on this:

I went back today to replace the carriage belt. When I started everything back up, I got an empty ink message again. I sucked some of the ink through the gray line, and a BUNCH of air came out. After that, I had no problems. I guess if it happens again, they're looking at new lines. I kind of don't think they'll need them though, because I had asked about possible leaks, and they said there hadn't been any leaks.

I'm not surprised; it's a common problem from using 3rd party inks. I am surprised though that the air would cause the cartridge to come up as empty. Good to know.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Hi:

New member here. Having same problem with printer constantly saying yellow cartridge is faulty. Going to try some of the suggestions noted above.