Technician

HP Color Laserjet CP5525 showing error 81.04.00

HP Color Laserjet CP5525dn showing error 81.04.00 after a few printed pages come out. This happens even when it is not plugged into the network. I can get this error to repeat even printing internal reports pages. Can't lock down the cause.
    tried 2 known good formatter boards, and updated firmware, Performed a cold reset, and initialized the machine but still the same error. Not much on the web about this that I can locate, other than post people saying its some sort of firmware bug. Anyone have any ideas or questions? I would appreciate some new ideas, I'm tapped out on this one. Thanks! :-)

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: HP Color Laserjet CP5525 showing error 81.04.00

This is just a guess, and probably a really wild one at that, but from what I can tell maybe the firmware was upgraded incorrectly?
    Um, if you didn't read the "Read me" file when you upgraded the firmware you should. The instructions on how to upgrade the firmware (at the very end of that file) for that machine are somewhat different than a lot of other HPs I've seen.
    If you did read the "Read me" file, I apologize.
    Or maybe an older version of firmware would work?
    Last edited by Iowatech; 08-31-2016 at 02:23 AM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Looks like a firmware error like Iowatch mentioned. Looks like the latest version corrects this exact error:

"Error 81.04.00 is seen while printing a few pages after upgrading the firmware from FS 3.2.7 to FS 3.4 or FS 3.4.1."

Format a stick FAT32 and copy the .BDL to the root. Either use the Preboot menu or Device Maintenance menu.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Traditionally 81 errors on HP's mean a problem in the EIO slot 1. Check if there is anything in the expansion slot and remove it and reboot. Then i would look at any memory or firmware dimms if the machine has them.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    This is just a guess, and probably a really wild one at that, but from what I can tell maybe the firmware was upgraded incorrectly?
    Um, if you didn't read the "Read me" file when you upgraded the firmware you should. The instructions on how to upgrade the firmware (at the very end of that file) for that machine are somewhat different than a lot of other HPs I've seen.
    If you did read the "Read me" file, I apologize.
    Or maybe an older version of firmware would work?
    Iowatech Thank you. That makes sense. I confess, I did not read the "Read me" file. Did not realize this model of HP may have different "caveats" for firmware upgrade/reflash than most other HP machines. I'll definitely take a look at that. Very much appreciated. I will post the solution in this forum, provided I find a solution. - Thank you to all that offered ideas on this perplexing issue. Very much appreciated. :-)

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Lance15 View Post
    Looks like a firmware error like Iowatch mentioned. Looks like the latest version corrects this exact error:

"Error 81.04.00 is seen while printing a few pages after upgrading the firmware from FS 3.2.7 to FS 3.4 or FS 3.4.1."

Format a stick FAT32 and copy the .BDL to the root. Either use the Preboot menu or Device Maintenance menu.
    Lance15 - Interesting. I will check this. Thank you. I do routinely flash machines in the manner you describe. Appreciate the idea. :-)

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Elmtech View Post
    Traditionally 81 errors on HP's mean a problem in the EIO slot 1. Check if there is anything in the expansion slot and remove it and reboot. Then i would look at any memory or firmware dimms if the machine has them.
    Hi Elmtech - This machine has nothing installed into the single EIO slot. I was thinking of trying to just disable the integrated Jetdirect interface "not sure that is possible on this model", and try it to see what happens. This machine has an 8GB SSD drive in it. I was able to test this SSD, and it tests good. Good ideas! Thank you. :-)

Technician

Re: HP Color Laserjet CP5525 showing error 81.04.00 - Solved

Hi all - I just wanted to post a follow up and tell everyone this issue has been resolved. Thank you very much for the assistance. I really appreciate it. I flashed this printer with the latest firmware version, bundle 3.7 that HP released in January of this year (2016) as suggested. This error IS directly addressed, along with other "fixes" in this version. If one reads the "ReadMe" file associated with this release (like I failed to do), in the "Fixes" area of the text, it does in fact state this firmware release "fixes" the 81.04.00 error that shows up after only a few pages are printed. So, you folks nailed it for me on the first shot. All I can say is Wow! There are some bad ass techs on this forum! You guys rock! Much appreciated for sure. Keep up the great work!

Technician

Hello friends,
    I'm getting the same error message.My machine has firmware date code 20150218, Firmware revision 2304070 439646, Bundle version,3.4.1.
    From this datecode my machine firmware version looks newer than the one available for download with datecode 20150217.

Any suggestion what I can do.

Thanks

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

The newest firmware is up to 3.9.2.