Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP Color LaserJet 5550n - printing specifications

Have a strange one here.

User is printing on 11x17 full color photos (no photo paper, just plain 'ol paper). One page may come out. The second gets jammed in the fuser with 13.0A.00. I also noticed A LOT of 13.09.00 in the event log. I used a toner cloth to clean the underside of the fuser and the interior of the printer underneath the fuser. Checked the fuser inlet sensor flag. Cleaned the associated sensor. Everything "good" here. 8.5x11 is fine. No jamming.

Here's what I'm wondering and if anyone has any input, I'd love to hear. I read on other forums that the margins may be to small and the toner "sticks" to the fusing roller (outside of physical heating?) and it starts to accordion in the fuser. This is exactly what is happening here.

I searched the user and service manuals. Can't find a reference of what the minimum margins are for the 5550. I found someone say the minimum margins are 0.17" all the way around?

I thought of this after I left the site. I initially was thinking fuser, but, ALL internal prints on both 8.5x11 and 11x17 are fine. NO jamming.

Any input would be of great help.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

Re: HP Color LaserJet 5550n - printing specifications

I had a 5550 that jammed only while printing heavy color "Photos ". The print job was sticking to the fuser basically. I tried changing the fuser with no luck. My company was using refurb toner cartridges so I replaced them with OEM cartridges we had in stock. The melting temp and other factors I'm sure "Not a Toner Scientist" was causing this issue. After that I didnt have a problem untill the customer again installed the refurb Toner Cartridges. We then made that printer "OEM" only.
    Izzy

Thanks Wild Bill. Forgot to mention, they are thankfully using genuine HP carts.

So, I go back today to do some further testing. The user isn't there, unfortunately. I went ahead and did some further testing anyway. I was able to successfully print out the PQ Troubleshooting pages without them jamming. The full colored pages printed on the 11x17 and the configuration page printed on 8.5x11. I hooked my laptop up and printed the built-in tulip picture in Windows using the built-in picture viewer program. Printed the picture a total of 8 times without them jamming.

I'm thinking that it's a document setup issue somehow. It jammed EVERYTIME he printed this document. I don't know driver/application information. I'm really only there for the printer only. I don't have any access to their PC's.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Of everything you've said, Yes, increasing leading edge void will help in this situation. The real question here is: Is is possible to adjust leading edge margins on this model? HP often does not provide such adjustments. If I have the manual I'll take a glance.

On full color copiers, when printing full coverage, the manufacturers typically recommend 4mm leading edge void. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

I've had a couple of these machines where internal prints were fine, but full color photos from the computers would accordion. I put an OEM fuser in on some of them, and it worked fine. Some of the other ones, I also had to make sure all the toners were OEM before it would stop jamming. It's possible adjusting the edge erase would have solved my problem, but I don't know.

When I went back last week, I left all of the prints I printed from my laptop on his computer. Didn't hear back from him, so I called him yesterday. Told him what I did and all. He tries again (same document as before) and everything is fine now. Dunno.

This is an account, where, we have a dollar limit until an approval is needed ($200). I doubt they would approve a $341 OEM fuser when they wouldn't approve a $282 formatter, pickup roller & labor on a P3015.

Another issue I have noticed with these is the fuser entry guide.

There is (if it isn't lost, which it is on a lot of these machines) a blue tools on the inside of the door to the left of the transfer belt. After you have this tool take the fuser out (two hand screws) then unlock the metal plate below it (two turn locks) and pull it out. Run the tool back and forth and possibly blow the guide out with compressed air. This fixes 75% of my "full bleed" jams, with the other 24% of resolutions coming from replacing the fuser itself (paper is controlled in the MPS environment I am in, which is the other 1%).

Hope this helps!

Thanks Millennium. I also did that on my first trip.