Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    HP T1200 scanner question

Message to replace scanner lamp on again after only 4 months. Was replaced with OEM lamp assy $500 four months ago !

Is it common to get these scanner messages so soon? Was going to stop out to look at it and try cleaning, clearing parameters, do adjustments,etc . Wanted to see if there is anything else I should look for?

Has anyone tried using a regular fluorescent tube from home depot or lowes? Someone on internet said they have used regular lamps that cost $10 for a 2 pack! Damn if it doesn't look just like a regular lamp you can buy anywhere.

Thanks in advance

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Re: HP T1200 scanner question

Isn't there a calibration you do after replacing the lamp? I think I looked into buying the calibration sheet (it's just a piece of carboard with some print on it) and it was a couple of hundred dollars. That might somehow effect the brightness of the bulb though, and maybe save it from dying after such a short time.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

The system will say the lamp needs to be replaced at 4000 hours. If left on 24/7, that's about every 6 months. I always tell people to turn the scanner OFF when not in use. You can also set it up to shut itself off on a schedule (or at least you used to be able to.)

Under normal usage conditions (lamp on 8 hours a day, 250 days a year), it will be approximately two years before the scanner needs maintenance. If the scanner is more intensively used, it will need maintenance service more often.

Don't confuse the message to calibrate the scanner with the message that the scanner needs maintenance (beyond calibration.) It will prompt the user to calibrate it once a month.

I don't remember the scanner saying specifically to replace the lamp, but you could have a defective one. If you don't see it lighting up it may be bad, or the driver board failed, or the power supply, or both. If the light is lighting, run the calibration. If the scans are very dark, then the lamp is dying.

You can try replacing the lamp in the cartridge but last time I looked at one, they filled the torx screws in with solder or something, making it nearly impossible to dismantle the cartridge. I don't know about using a bulb from Home Depot; I used the bulb meant for the prior models that didn't use the cartridge. Q1261-60027 Used to be about $95 from HP.

Kiran

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

By the way, the scanner is a Contex Chroma G600 42”.. you can get parts from Wide Scanners and Systems. www.widescnrs.com Of course it depends what's left in stock. These are getting old.

Kiran