Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Designjet T2300

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Designjet T2300

Re: Designjet T2300

You can replace them together, there's nothing to that. But once the HD is used in a printer, it can't be used in another. The formatter can.

Are they getting this when printing a particular scan, or any scan? I'm just curious; I know you said you can't get them to troubleshoot it. But if you can get the scan that crashes the printer and try it on another, it should rule out if it's the printer or not. A formatter and drive is an expensive shot in the dark.

Kiran

Designjet T2300

They have a proprietary system that they use. They have GIS plots scanned somehow. The user couldn't explain the process....hence.....USER. The frontend is a web-based app that they log into using credentials. They pull up the plot they are looking for and hit the 'print' icon. That pulls up the locally installed print window. From what I saw, this is a view-only app.

Yes, the formatter/HDD is over a thousand dollars! However, they don't want to look at this from their end, so, I'm giving them pricing for what they are asking for. I'm going to tell them there are no guarantees. I'm also going to tell them about a 130 I had this EXACT issue with last year. In that case, the user opened a picture (plain 'ol JPG) into Photoshop and printed. The plotter rebooted. I opened the SAME picture into the default picture viewer and it printed fine.

In both cases, the Event Log has/had numerous 79:04's.

Thanks Kiran. I'm going to quote them the formatter with HDD option.

Designjet T2300

Received a CC E-mail the other day indicating they might want to look at this from their point-of-view. I would too, considering an un-guartenteed $1200 repair bill.

Designjet T2300

They wanted the formatter bundle replaced.

I replaced it today. Wasn't ready for what needed to be done, though. Was sweating a time or two.

Looked at the service manual just to see if there were any pre-reqs. The only thing I noticed was about the ATA Password jumper. Followed the directions. Installed with the jumper. The plotter 79'ed. Turned it off, removed the jumper, turned back on. Got a message about updating to the latest firmware. Had to eventually download it from one of the customers PC. Plopped it on a stick and updated to the latest (IG_10_04_00.1). The unit now booted up normally. I screwed down the thumbscrews and turned it off to install the PostScript USB stick. When I turned it back on, I got 01.0 error. Hmmmmm. Removed the stick. Same thing. Unscrewed it, take out, put back in (didn't screw it back down). Booted fine. Screwed it down. Got the 01.0 again. Reseated the formatter, but didn't screw the thumbscrews down as tight. Booted fine. Guess it was seated to far into the Engine? Reinstalled the PostScript stick and installed that. Had to call internal IT so they could change the MAC to get it back on the network. A user printed a bunch of PDF's while I was there. Seemed to be okay. Couldn't test this DigitalPaper thing they use.

Designjet T2300

Well that's bizarre! Did you blow out the emod real good? Since that connector faces up, it's a trap for any dust/debris that wants to get into it when you have the formatter out. That's all I can think of.

Kiran

Designjet T2300

After the first 01, yeah. Blew it out best I could.

The other tidbit of information I forgot to mention was when I got to the plotter it was turned off. Hmm. Okay. Turned it on to print out network config (which wouldn't have mattered). It hung at 94%. One of the guys there was like "Yeah, it started doing that. We turned it off for an hour and a half. Same thing." Well, THANKS so much for passing THAT on.