Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

HP P2035 Recurrent printing quality problems

This is going to be a mess of a post but its just how this problem is.

Anyways, in the last 4 months, weve been having issues with 2 different machines, one HP P2035 (returned for service 4 times) and an HP M521dw (returned for service 3 times so far).

Client reports the printing quality is awfull, which we confirm on site, it looks like toner isnt fusing on the paper and text looks "warped".

After fuser inspection weve found that the fuser film is damaged (black shadowy spots) and film grease is completely burnt and dry and film was stuck to the heathing unit, so we clean the heating unit, apply fresh grease and a new fuser film then we send it back.

However, after a month they report the exact same issue, we check the fuser again and grease is completely dry and brown, we apply fresh grease and send it back only to have it returned after a month with the exact same problem.

I just dont know what the hell is happening, its been happening with both machines from different clients, the P2035 has less than 400,000 prints, M521 has 330,000.

QAttached is a picture i took last week when the P2035 was returned for the fourht time, im not sure if this could be an indicator of the heathing unit going kaput, an issue with low voltage on the fuser hence toner not fusing onto the paper... im lost.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? clients use generic toner, but they also uswe the same toner on other machines and they dont have this problem on those.

Is there any way to check if the fuser is actually getting the full voltage it needs to fuse the toner?

Any help appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

Re: HP P2035 Recurrent printing quality problems

In question would be the sleeves that you use (Film) and the grease that is applies to the heating element. I also would suspect the element. In your case I would put an OEM Fuser in it. How much has it cost your company so far? Thinking it is probably enough to use the OEM fuser .
    Izzy

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
    In question would be the sleeves that you use (Film) and the grease that is applies to the heating element. I also would suspect the element. In your case I would put an OEM Fuser in it. How much has it cost your company so far? Thinking it is probably enough to use the OEM fuser .
    Ahhh yes i forgot to mention that we´ve used two different greases, one t5he standard that comes with the films thyemselves and we bought another one supposedly ¨high quality¨ for $35 dollars.

Also the second time the P2035 returned for service, i swithced the fuser with one we have here in the workshop for testing remanufactured cartridges, and that one was working just fine until that unit came back for service a third time.

Not sure if its of any importance but, both of these units are used in hospitals, so im just wondering if it may be related to el3ctric problems, voltage variations or anything like that, but still... they have a LOT of really expensive machines there so my guess is they have a stable electrical system, i dont think they would risk blowing up a 10,000 dollars medical machine.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

For some reason the brown stuff on the heater looks like something that used to be called "Faz". It was a hydrocarbon deposit caused by long periods of high temperatures and moderately high voltages back in the day when I was working on equipment that used coated paper that was developed by a thermal process (mostly microfilm reader/printers, believe it or not).
    As such, that kind of makes it look like that fuser has been around for some time and may just be worn out enough that the entire unit needs to be replaced?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP P2035 Recurrent printing quality problems

I was thinking something similar, though not in your context.

If that's the heating element, I think it's time for a whole NEW fuser, unless your do a COMPLETE rebuild of the fuser which would probably not be cost effective.

The other thing I noticed in your post was the page count on a low-end printer like the P2035.....about 400,000??? That's A LOT for this model.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Well, yesterday both machines went back after cleaning heating elements and applying new grease, if they come back again ill consider replacing the fusers.