Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

HP Laserjet M521dw ¨product is unable to calibrate¨

So, yesterday we recieved a M521 machine with the ¨product is unable to calibrate remove paper from the ADF or snanning bed¨ and of course theres no paper in there.

About 2 months ago one of our machines got the same error and we we able to solve it only by replacing the whole scannin bet and ADF units.

Issue now is we dont have any other spare machine we could switch the scanning asassembly.

Ive found this thread from 2 years ago with a guy having the exact same issue on the same model and someone suggested calibrating the scanner on service menu.
    Unable to Calibrate Message on display at start up Laserjet Pro MFP M521dn

However, when i try to run the calibration assistant on the secondary service menu, the machine tells me ¨remove paper from ADF¨ and obviously, calibration cant even start.

Any other suggestion? by readin the manual posted in that other thread, my understaning is that this issue could be caused by corrupted data stored on the formatter memory.

Is there a way to delete this data somehow?

Faith09

Re: HP Laserjet M521dw ¨product is unable to calibrate¨

try some websites for this problem or else you can try this Website and ask questions regarding this and you will find answers immediately, Thank you.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Perhaps something in this document might help?

Troubleshooting ADF Hardware Issues.pdf

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lance15 View Post
    Perhaps something in this document might help?

Troubleshooting ADF Hardware Issues.pdf
    Thanks for that, some nice info there that may be usefull in the future.

However, the unit i was servicing stat¿rted working just fine when we tested it in the shop, we didnt do anythign at all, we just plugged it in and error was gone, testing ADF copies all day and it worked just fine, client has been using it since thursday without issues.

maybe the ADF is about to die or there was a piece of paper or stapple and it got removed when we moved it.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

This is kind of a long shot, but if that happens again try turning the machine off and unplugging the power cord. Then leave the machine alone for a few minutes.
    It's the weirdest thing. That's kind of based on a surge protection feature of old Canon fax machines, if they got hit with a surge they'd lock up and they needed to be unplugged for a while to reset. The HP equipment I've worked on never totally locked up, but occasionally the ones that got hit with a surge just needed to be unplugged for a while and then they would start operating as expected. It's been really stinking random too, so there's no rhyme or reason to that that I've seen and this might just be so much nonsense.
    Still, you might try that if the machine acts up again. It doesn't take that long, and it might save you a few bucks on parts.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

....try turning the machine off and unplugging the power cord. Then leave the machine alone for a few minutes.

Had that happen on a P2055. Tech swapped the printer because the control panel was dead. Once I got around to looking at it, I plugged it in and it was perfectly fine. It probably sat for a week or more. More than enough time for the caps on any boards to be completely dissipated of electricity.