Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    HP Designjet 430  error code help

HP Designjet 430 error code help

Hi folks,
    as my customer wants to re-visit this repair, he dropped it off to me 4 months ago to replace belt, so I never did get to test it first, as belt was broke, after replacing the belt, I got this error code with lights lit up "ready + "align" + "media", and "load media" also lit. this of course after I hit "cancel" button, for the sub- code.He told me not to go any further at that time, now has changed his mind, wants to fix it cause of software issues. I did check bail movement, after initial rotation, or warm up process, the bail mechanism does move up, and back down, which I'm guessing is the proper movement..I'm thinking the carriage unit, as thats what I recalled 4 months ago was next item to replace. But any other input will be welcomed...Thanks !!
    Jaime
    I.C.S.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: HP Designjet 430 error code help

Looking at error lights "ready"+"align media" + "load media" are green,"media" is red

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

The error group suggests a problem with the bail lift. Is the carriage hitting it after it raises and lowers?

Kiran

firefox_2017-01-24_15-34-15.jpg

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    The error group suggests a problem with the bail lift. Is the carriage hitting it after it raises and lowers?

Kiran
    hi Kiran,
    no , after power on, carriage goes to the right, then back home, it hits sensor arm, bail goes up slightly then down, carriage studders a little, then it codes out. Seems like the carriage hits the bail sensor, as its suppose to, then shudders to find home position..I just got the machine back yesterday, so I'm going to try to figure this out , again. but any recommendations or help is very welcome !..Thanks..Jaime
    firefox_2017-01-24_15-34-15.jpg

Make sure the encoder strip is clean, and not damaged. If you hold it up to the light you can see the little marks that the carriage reads. If someone has tried cleaning it too aggressively or with any kind of solvent, the marks can be removed leaving clear patches which throws off the carriage positioning.

The bail should not be lifted during startup.

Does the printer search for the white marker on the end of the platen? Here's a video of one starting up correctly. https://youtu.be/TbW6wyF1rFQ

Kiran

Something else; check that the bail cable isn't broken. The little lever that the carriage tugs on which pulls the cable; you can move it with your finger and feel the tension. It's pulling a very tiny cable that can sometimes break. I believe the system briefly tests the tension on startup, and if it doesn't sense any, you'll get your error.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Something else; check that the bail cable isn't broken. The little lever that the carriage tugs on which pulls the cable; you can move it with your finger and feel the tension. It's pulling a very tiny cable that can sometimes break. I believe the system briefly tests the tension on startup, and if it doesn't sense any, you'll get your error.

Kiran
    Yeah...I did check cable it was o.k.,now the bail does come up, just a few mm's, could the cable be stretched..? or I dont recall if there is any tension adjustment on it..I couldnt get into service mode 2, which doesnt make sense, why have a service mode, if you cant access, if theres an error, I did perform bail test in service meode 1, and it works, but leds remain lit..even though carriage returns, bail moves up, slightly, then down...

Can you load paper? Does the bail raise and lower during that process?

Kiran

Btw, you can't enter service mode 2 if there's an error upon initialization. If you did the bail cycle test in mode 1 and it only lifts slightly, then there's something wrong with the bail cable or clutch assembly, or the carriage is not positioned correctly and not pulling that lever enough and engaging the clutch. I don't think the cable can stretch, it's stranded steel. However the balls on the ends are pressed on and could come off I suppose.

When you do the bail test in mode 1, watch how much the carriage pulls that lever. I recall it had to be lifted straight up. If it's not, the carriage is in the wrong position.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Btw, you can't enter service mode 2 if there's an error upon initialization. If you did the bail cycle test in mode 1 and it only lifts slightly, then there's something wrong with the bail cable or clutch assembly, or the carriage is not positioned correctly and not pulling that lever enough and engaging the clutch. I don't think the cable can stretch, it's stranded steel. However the balls on the ends are pressed on and could come off I suppose.

When you do the bail test in mode 1, watch how much the carriage pulls that lever. I recall it had to be lifted straight up. If it's not, the carriage is in the wrong position.

Kiran
    Hi K...
    so I just did bail test in service mode 1, carriage goes to the right, comes back, hits the black lever, that has the cable attached to it, it just pops up quickly,enough for the gears on the right sight to quickly engage, then releases..so the bail comes up just slightly, then back down. according the manaual, the "best" led should light, if it passes, thats doesnt happen. As far as the carriage not being correctly installed, man, I dont see how I could have that in the wrong position, it goes on the rail, with bar code in correct position...is it possible the belt not positioned correctly?...or what can I check to be sure its in properly...as the carriage does move smoothly..I'm thinking the carriage itself gone bad...?