Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP 4300 trail edge issues trough tray 2 and 3

hp 4300.pdf

I am currently working on an HP 4300 and am having this trail edge issue with the paper from trays 2 and 3 only, it prints perfect from the bypass tray ( full print). The printer was past maintenance when I arrived so I installed a maintenance kit, I thought maybe the fuser was causing the issue or possibly the transfer roller, feed rollers, being the printer was 70k past due. After replacing the kit I still had the same issue, swapped out toner cartridge..same issue so I thought I would try replacing the feed roller assembly ( RM1- 0012-000), would resolve the issue... no dice. My thought if it is a voltage issue, I would have the same problem though the bypass tray. I'm going to pick up the printer on Friday and pull out the drive section, clean and lube. Any help or ideas are appreciated.

I noticed a line on the right side of the PDF, that is caused by the scanner I used to post the pic, the print is clean.
    Last edited by copiertec; 01-25-2017 at 08:54 PM.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: HP 4300 trail edge issues trough tray 2 and 3

Perchance are your trays programmed as LTR, but loaded with A4? No, that wouldn't work. The boarders would be printed differently. Never mind me. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

I would swear this is a toner cartridge. But if you're sure it's not, then I would go to the laser unit. Maybe the laser is weak, and stops working by the end of the page? The bypass moves slower, so the drum would be hit more by the weakened laser and it wouldn't be noticeable. That's my first guess anyway. After that, I'm thinking the power supply.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Also--check for moisture in the paper. I've seen this problem come up with the older color HP printers, but never with a black and white. It's something to check anyway. Just run the paper through twice, and it would eliminate the possibility anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Perchance are your trays programmed as LTR, but loaded with A4? No, that wouldn't work. The boarders would be printed differently. Never mind me. =^..^=
    LOL.. thank you, Blackcat.

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    I would swear this is a toner cartridge. But if you're sure it's not, then I would go to the laser unit. Maybe the laser is weak, and stops working by the end of the page? The bypass moves slower, so the drum would be hit more by the weakened laser and it wouldn't be noticeable. That's my first guess anyway. After that, I'm thinking the power supply.
    Yeah, I installed another new OEM cartridge, same issue. I was thinking laser unit possibly, too. I pulled it out and cleaned it and even removed the shutter to see if that would fix the issue. I know they are using a cheap paper through out the organization, and have a dozen of the hp 40 series printers, however none are having this issue. One of the first things I did was open a new ream and try that, I am going back with some Hammermill 20lb to see if that makes a difference as a last ditch effort before I tear it apart, again.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

did you check the paper size in the tray and thru control panel? clean the paper sensors

Well, I went back and as a last ditch effort before replacing parts, I pulled the power supply assembly... it was LOADED with toner. After cleaning it out and putting it back together, it printed perfectly. Thank you all for the input.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    Well, I went back and as a last ditch effort before replacing parts, I pulled the power supply assembly... it was LOADED with toner. After cleaning it out and putting it back together, it printed perfectly. Thank you all for the input.
    I would check drum contacts on left side...I've seen these cause trouble...not making good contact, drum not getting properly discharged...good luck, mate