Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP 4000 jamming

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    HP 4000 jamming

HP 4000 jamming

I put a maintenance kit into this HP laserjet 4000 which included paper feed rollers. I have been getting jams 13.01.80 and 13.02.80 only from the two cassettes. The MP tray feeds fine. I then replaced the D shaped pickup rollers, no improvement. I took some shavings out of the torque limiters and still no difference.

Event log says paper late jam and paper stopped jam.

The location of the jam varies and is sometimes difficult to remove. I checked the firmware level and it seems current.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts 1stcavvet's Avatar

Re: HP 4000 jamming

check the pickup solenoid on a old machine like that it's more than likely-------could be the registration assembly (refeed assy), easy to do, behind the manual feed unit. GOOD LUCK

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP 4000 jamming

Paper feed assembly - RG5-2651

Very common on these old machines.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    HP 4000 jamming

On the paper feed (registration) assembly the one way gear was slipping so I cleaned it out and put 4 scratches on the shaft. It doesn't slip now when I turn it back and forth by hand. Maybe I should replace it but I have another issue.

I had been getting random blank sheets and 41.05 codes so the pickup solenoids seemed worth a look.

I took the pickup solenoids out to clean them because I could see glue residue that was making them stick. Now both drawers are much worse. D shaped pickup rollers are going around and around multiple times even when cassette is empty. They do eventually stop though. When I manually turn the gears and work the solenoids they seem to work correctly. Any ideas? Thanks

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nathicana View Post
    On the paper feed (registration) assembly the one way gear was slipping so I cleaned it out and put 4 scratches on the shaft. It doesn't slip now when I turn it back and forth by hand. Maybe I should replace it but I have another issue.

I had been getting random blank sheets and 41.05 codes so the pickup solenoids seemed worth a look.

I took the pickup solenoids out to clean them because I could see glue residue that was making them stick. Now both drawers are much worse. D shaped pickup rollers are going around and around multiple times even when cassette is empty. They do eventually stop though. When I manually turn the gears and work the solenoids they seem to work correctly. Any ideas? Thanks
    Either the pick up solenoid is magnetized, there is still adhesive on it or you didn't reassemble it correctly. That would be why you get the blank pages and the rollers turn when they are not supposed to.
    While sometimes you can get away without replacing the noise deadening pad which was the source of the adhesive, sometimes not replacing the pad will cause wrong and stupid things to happen too. There are a lot of great discussions about that which are already here in the fax and printer technical discussion thread. I learned a lot from them.
    Last edited by Iowatech; 02-25-2017 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Clarification

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

There's a few discussions on this throughout the forum. Personally, I bend the plate where the adhesive once was, so the metal plate doesn't come down as far against the magnet... one less thing for me to carry around, and it's never NOT worked. But others do it other ways.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I usually put a piece of electrical tape between the magnet and arm. Solenoid is louder but never sticks again

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

Generic Rollers suck make sure they are OEM
    Izzy

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    HP 4000 jamming

I put a thick plastic film where the pad was on the pickup solenoids. Both drawers began feeding correctly.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    HP 4000 jamming

It is tough to figure out the exact spacing needed.....but some spacing is mandatory though.