Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

p4015 mysterious chronic jamming

Started working on a machine that will print from 1 to 10 pages then stop. Always stops just into registration or up to the top of page sensor. Have already tried new rollers,paper drive assy., tray 2 solenoid,paper feed assy.(behind the manual tray), and registration assy. I updated the firmware. I took it apart to clean the top of page sensor, although it works in the sensor test. I don't see a replacement part listed. These were either new parts or from a known working p4015.
    This is connected to an optional third tray which works flawlessly. Manual tray works as well. When I started working on it, a lot of pages had to go through before it stopped. Now only a few at a time will run. Has anyone run across such an odd problem?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Re: p4015 mysterious chronic jamming

Try swapping the DC controller.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

Check the Tray 1 feed assy. On the jam inspection guide (Where it paper path wraps around) there is a tab that breaks so the spring no longer puts tension on that guide. It causes intermittent jams. Did you say you replaced Tray 1 feed assy?
    Izzy

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar

Take the torc limiter out of the tray and put the sep roller back in and see how it feeds.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thank you to all who took time to reply. I need to modify my post somewhat. I forgot to mention that I did replace the manual tray assy. I can't remember now if I changed the d.c. controller or not, but I don't have an extra one to play with at the moment. I also checked to see that the little gear between the feed rollers is still there. I will try the torque converter to see if there's any change. Thanks.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

You say you changed the rollers, but did you also change the white gear roller (RM1-0036), or just the blue rollers (RM1-0037)? The white gear roller will usually cause ghost jams, but it's worth a try, and it's cheap.
    Also, I assume you blew out and checked the sensor behind tray 1, and the other sensors too, along with the top of page sensor that you already cleaned?
    You can try testing with the cassette from tray 3.
    The registration assembly is unlikely as tray 1 works fine.
    You can try the tray paper drive and lift assemblies, but it's not as likely to be those.
    If you solve it, can you let us know what the problem was?