Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Ink stains on carpet from HP T1100

I recently replaced the carriage belt on this T1100 and I did not notice that the ink tube was leaking from the print head station. Just oozing out a drop at a time.
    But left 3-4 spots. I tried using windex with ammonia and a rug doctor machine. Some of the ink came out but there is still a stain.

What can I use to get the stain out?

My customer is not going to let this go, he use to own a carpet cleaning business and is afraid it may be permanent.
    In which case may ask me to replace the carpet. I'm an indy out on limb now. Cause I don't have that kind of
    money on hand.

Thanks in advance

DR

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Re: Ink stains on carpet from HP T1100

I've replaced plenty of those belts. The procedure is to pull the ink tube assembly out of the carriage, and drape it over, so that you can get at the carriage. If it leaks, it's not because you did something wrong... it's because he has a leak. These generally will not leak. If it leaks, even when it's detached from the carriage, there's a problem with the machine. Not your fault. Although, maybe if you noticed while pulling it off, you could have put something under it.

Oh... he needs a new ink tube assembly.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I had this on an HP DJ1050C. The cyan ink was running down the left leg. The O-ring that seals the tubing assembly to the carriage was leaking. I thought that maybe cleaning up the contact surfaces would help it seal better ... NOT. A week later I was installing the new tubing assembly. Fortunately for me it was over ceramic tile. All that remained was some cyan grout.

You might try alcohol and a scrub brush. You might try Zep Fast505 and a scrub brush. Or you might try orange solvent and a scrub brush.

In the end though, it's not your fault that the tubing leaks. They own the machine, not you. Or a leasing company: go ahead and see how far you get blaming the bank. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post

I recently replaced the carriage belt on this T1100 and I did not notice that the ink tube was leaking from the print head station. Just oozing out a drop at a time.
    But left 3-4 spots. I tried using windex with ammonia and a rug doctor machine. Some of the ink came out but there is still a stain.

My customer is not going to let this go, he use to own a carpet cleaning business and is afraid it may be permanent.
    In which case may ask me to replace the carpet. I'm an indy out on limb now. Cause I don't have that kind of
    money on hand.

Thanks in advance

DR
    Well, if the Rug Doctor didn't work, you might be doomed. Although that customer must of had a pretty worthless carpet cleaning business if they couldn't figure how to clean this up. I speak from experience as someone who accidentally spilled (a good deal of) green Riso ink on a light tan carpet and saw that a competent carpet cleaning service could clean that up.
    For what it is worth, I may have served in the Reserves with a guy who's civilian job was a carpet cleaner. One of his suggestions for tough carpet stains was using laundry detergent, a stiff brush, and a wet/dry shop vac. That's worked well for a variety of stupid things that have happened to my carpet here at home.
    Also, if the stains are small enough, WD40 or some other cleaner like that and vigorous scrubbing may blend the stains into the surrounding carpet to the point that they are no longer noticeable.
    I would really rather you wait to take my suggestions until others pipe up for this. Mainly because I don't know for sure if they would work even a little bit.

Electrical Contact cleaner like Tech Spray Blue Shower will dissolved alot of ink out depends on the size of the spot if it looks like a plate laying on the floor it will not work on a large spot.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Thank you everyone for the quick replies. I will wait for one more day to see if others chime in.
    I just hope the customer realizes that the problem is with the machine and nothing I did.

Thanks for all the suggestions

DR

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Thank you everyone for the quick replies. I will wait for one more day to see if others chime in.
    I just hope the customer realizes that the problem is with the machine and nothing I did.

Thanks for all the suggestions

DR
    I don't think you'll have a problem with the customer - if you have been 'up front' with what happened.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

A similar topic cover about 12 months ago:

wwww.copytechnet.com/forums/rants-raves-and-everything-else/109222-getting-toner-out-clothes.html

Getting toner out of clothes

HTH
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

money on hand.

Thanks in advance

DR
    Do they have a hidden room or walking cupboard with the same carpet ?Get the carpet pro's to cut a square out of the carpet and stitch/swap it in with the new piece.

You could be creative, and turn the stain into graffiti colourful street art, and charge them full price.
    You couldn't do any worse than some of the "so-called" artworks I've seen. ...
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Technician

This might not be the most useful response you've had, but I had a similar issue a few years ago with Riso ink. I managed to get rid of most of the ink using IPA.... and then moved the machine over the stain....

Good luck!