Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Re: colors prints half page LJ CP 5225

Ok,

Here's that old thread:

CP5225 colors cut out during second page

OK-- I got it. If the color image is only appearing on half the page:

The color toner unit turns in the beginning. Then, it suddenly stops turning. The image that it had produced, is transferred onto the drum, and from the drum, it goes onto the paper. The drum continues to turn throughout the print process, but the dev roller isn't turning. To the very last thing that the dev roller transferred is still showing there, because it's no longer rotating, even though the drum is rotating. That's why you can see the image on the mag/dev roller, and not on the drum. My guess is that if you pulled the toner ctg out after the print (without stopping in the middle of the print), you'd still see that image on the dev roller.

So the problem is probably in your developer roller drive. Some gears are stripped or something. I believe that possibility is described in the other thread referenced.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts kaborwen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    I had this problem with a machine, and never did quite figure it out. It was almost exactly the same as your... except different lengths where the colors disappeared. I had replaced the transfer belt and it didn't change anything. Although, I didn't check the mag rollers in the stop test... just the drums. It's really strange to me that the mag roller can show the image and the drum not. The only reason there would be an inverse image on the mag roller, is if that toner had gotten on to the drum. I can't think of ANY other way for the image to appear on the mag roller.

Anyway, someone had sent me some PDF's with some descriptions of certain plastic bushing that are wearing on these machines causing this problem. I'll see if I can find them and post them. I had dropped that call because I already had a ton of time into it, and it was pretty far away from my home base. The description of the possible fix is a pretty big job, and I don't know for certain that it would work, so I didn't want to step in anything so big.

Thank you for your answer. I disassembled the gears block and found three small broken plastic. But I can not find their exact source. Your PDF will help me a lot. Thank you in advance.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts kaborwen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Ok,

Here's that old thread:

CP5225 colors cut out during second page
    Thanks you very mutch. It's help full.
    There are actually three (black, cyan and magenta) that are broken. But, what I do not understand is why the black is broken and printing well compared to the yellow that is not. I want to be sure before order parts one time.

Those broken pieces might not be why the colors disappear. It might be the dev. drive gear assembly--worn gears inside that. If you replace that, make sure to follow the manual on lining up those gears before installing.